OT: What is happening in Sydney?

Duende

On 12 Dec 2005 Mark Parnell wrote in alt.html
Turns out it was actually 1999. Didn't realise it was that long ago. I
was only just old enough to vote! :)

date("l dS of F Y h:i:s A")

mbstevens

Luigi said:
That does not contradict what I stated before.

Oh, but it does, because you are obsessively in need of static
definition, while Mensky neatly explains why trying to seek the 'real
meaning' is in itself usually a mistake. You were insisting on being
given the definition of an Australian, weren't you?

Toby Inkster

Disco said:
We also shoot and eat the two animals that are on our national coat of
arms. No other country has this distinction

That was one of the best posts I've read in a very long time.

I think the British would have a hard time finding a unicorn to shoot and
eat.

Toby Inkster

Luigi said:
But you still define Mr. X with reference to the colour of his suit.

Not really. Wearing a blue suit does not make somebody else Mr X. And when
Mr X wears a red suit, he's still Mr X -- he's just behaving in an
abnormal manner.

dorayme

From: mbstevens said:
I don't believe that some truck that's about to run over me will
disappear if I don't have a definition for it. That would simply be
unreasonable. No, I prefer to step out of the way of the truck.

I had an experience with a truck once. A big rig was heading
straight for me. I had to think quick, there was no time to get
out of the way. I had a stab at a definition of it. I don't
think I did a very good job? But, as luck would have it, the
truck was so startled at my description of it - which modesty
prevents me from revealing in an open forum where there may be
kids - that it stopped dead in its tracks!

dorayme

From: "Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Is dorayme a dancing queen?

You complained that I didn't know when to stop joking. Do you? This is a
most hurtful question to ask of any green bloodied Martian...

Hilarion

Luigi said:
Negative as absence of a certain item or quality, for example a suit which
is neither blue nor yellow

So what is a positive definition for this negative definition? If your
answer is "red", then think again... Are you sure that all suits which
are not blue nor yellow are red?

Even if there always is something that you call a positive definition
for something that you call negative definition, then not always this
positive definition is known or needed.

Hilarion

mbstevens

dorayme said:
I had an experience with a truck once. A big rig was heading
straight for me. I had to think quick, there was no time to get
out of the way. I had a stab at a definition of it. I don't
think I did a very good job? But, as luck would have it, the
truck was so startled at my description of it - which modesty
prevents me from revealing in an open forum where there may be
kids - that it stopped dead in its tracks!

< chuckle >
I observed, over a number of years, the comments
of rock climbers taking leader falls:
"Fu`$!" 80%
"Sh~^!" 12%
"God!" 3%
Other 5%
Defines fall 0%
You'd think that the way these people break the rules
that language didn't create reality at all!
;)

Luigi Donatello Asero

Toby Inkster said:
Not really. Wearing a blue suit does not make somebody else Mr X. And when
Mr X wears a red suit, he's still Mr X -- he's just behaving in an
abnormal manner.

That does not affect what I said.
As to Australians, the fact some of them do not want to define themselves in
positive terms in a explicit way, so to say,
(they do it in a implicit way even if they do not notice that..)
does not prevent others to define them in an explicit way.

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
You complained that I didn't know when to stop joking. Do you? This is a
most hurtful question to ask of any green bloodied Martian...

Perhaps that question was not the best I could ask but
how many times did I joke with you, anyway?
If you do not want to say anything about you it is up to you.
Do as you like.

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Your questions are 'Eliza' like questions.... (see posts from along while
back...)

There have been riots both in France and Australia. I have read your
answers and I am drawing my personal conclusions which are not necessarily
the same as the ones of other participants in this NG on the same issue...
I am likely to read more about this topic using other sources as well.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Disco Octopus
*I find* that the locals are quite ignorant towards anything
that is not queensland.

That's why Pauline Hanson managed to get such a following there, while
the rest of the country thought she was racist. My wife's grandfather
lives in Queensland, and he thought she was the bee's knees.

dorayme

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Is dorayme a dancing queen?

You can see me practicing at
http://www.dorayme.150m.com/movies/rayDoris.mov

I am the-pair-at-once - a little trick that Martians can do...
If you do not want to say anything about you it is up to you.
Do as you like.

You are saying that freedom is important and that I should
exercise it? Fine! I will and I have chosen freely to talk to you
and send you pictures and movies via the above server and I hope
you can see the movie, most folk on PCs go all wobbly with
Quicktime but what can I do? I will do anything not to get into
your killfile. Your killfile is simply unimaginably fearful to
me. Some people are afraid of spiders, others of other things.
Me, it is your killfile.

I am sorry if this too much joking. Please forgive me. If it is
too much, just take a bit off so it falls within acceptable
limits for humans.

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
You can see me practicing at
http://www.dorayme.150m.com/movies/rayDoris.mov

I am the-pair-at-once - a little trick that Martians can do...

You are saying that freedom is important and that I should
exercise it? Fine! I will and I have chosen freely to talk to you
and send you pictures and movies via the above server and I hope
you can see the movie, most folk on PCs go all wobbly with
Quicktime but what can I do?

Perhaps Quicktime is more popular on Mars.
How sure is it?

I will do anything not to get into
your killfile. Your killfile is simply unimaginably fearful to
me. Some people are afraid of spiders, others of other things.
Me, it is your killfile.

I am sorry if this too much joking. Please forgive me. If it is
too much, just take a bit off so it falls within acceptable
limits for humans.

Just a question:
may I ask you with the consent of the person in question whether
the nice person on
http://www.ipowerweb.com/
also fly by your UFO ?