OT: What is happening in Sydney?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, mbstevens
Then you are using 'definition' in a non-standard way.

Since when does Luigi care about the standards? :)

Disco Octopus

Disco said:
We are the people of a free nation of blokes, sheilas and the occasional
wanker....

Something I misseed... Sorry....

The above was written by *Tim Fergason* during the republican debate as a
proposed constitutional preamble.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Disco Octopus said:
Something I misseed... Sorry....

The above was written by *Tim Fergason* during the republican debate as a
proposed constitutional preamble.

I understand....
when did he write it?

mbstevens

Luigi said:
Negative as absence of a certain item or quality, for example a suit which
is neither blue nor yellow

Positive or negative, the comment in question wasn't a definition,
_period_.

"It's very unaustralian" was an observation, not a definition.

Luigi Donatello Asero

mbstevens said:
Positive or negative, the comment in question wasn't a definition,
_period_.

"It's very unaustralian" was an observation, not a definition.

To me it was both.
As soon as you qualify something by an adjective you define it.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
As soon as you qualify something by an adjective you define it.

No, an adjective *describes* something; it doesn't (necessarily) define
it.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero

"*during the republican debate*"

In which year did it take place?

Ps.: I sent you an e-mail by mistake. You do not need answer.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
<[email protected]> spouted in alt.html:

[republican debate]
In which year did it take place?

Um, somewhere between the last 2 elections IIRC - maybe 3-4 years ago.
Google is your friend.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Mark Parnell
[republican debate]
Um, somewhere between the last 2 elections IIRC - maybe 3-4 years ago.

Turns out it was actually 1999. Didn't realise it was that long ago. I
was only just old enough to vote! :)
Google is your friend.

Turns out he (she?) is my friend too. :)

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero

No, an adjective *describes* something; it doesn't (necessarily) define
it.

A definition is as complete or incomplete as a description.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Luigi Donatello Asero
<[email protected]> spouted in alt.html:

[republican debate]
In which year did it take place?

Um, somewhere between the last 2 elections IIRC - maybe 3-4 years ago.
Google is your friend.

Well, that was all for now!

mbstevens

Luigi said:
To me it was both.
As soon as you qualify something by an adjective you define it.

You are trapped in the Semiotic post-structuralist party line.

Here, try Mensky on for size, let this roll around in your primate
wetware for a while -- don't reject it out of hand:

"The secret of what anything means to us depends on how we've connected
it to all the other things we know. That's why it's almost always wrong
to seek the 'real meaning' of anything. A thing with just one meaning
has scarcely any meaning at all."

Luigi Donatello Asero

mbstevens said:
You are trapped in the Semiotic post-structuralist party line.

Here, try Mensky on for size, let this roll around in your primate
wetware for a while -- don't reject it out of hand:

"The secret of what anything means to us depends on how we've connected
it to all the other things we know. That's why it's almost always wrong
to seek the 'real meaning' of anything. A thing with just one meaning
has scarcely any meaning at all."
That does not contradict what I stated before.
The fact that a definition can be considered always incomplete because noone
knows the whole reality but parts of it does not say anything against that
once you begin assign a quality (adjective) to the reality which you try and
describe (define) you have begun doing it.
Have a nice week

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
That does not contradict what I stated before.
The fact that a definition can be considered always incomplete because noone
knows the whole reality but parts of it does not say anything against that
once you begin assign a quality (adjective) to the reality which you try and
describe (define) you have begun doing it.
Have a nice week

Just one more thing , that says instead that no standard can take into
account the whole reality because noone knows it as a whole.

Duende

On 12 Dec 2005 Toby Inkster wrote in alt.html
The Paris riots have given fuel to agents provocateur worldwide, and I
expect to see a few more riots in other cities before things settle down
again.

Keep an eye on LA, CA.