[OT] What's happened to allmyfaqs?

Stewart Gordon

Hello all....

(Yes, I'm finally back, for those who haven't realised already.)

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/

I've noticed in the last few weeks that every page on that site has been
read only for however long, and that there are no updates since September.

I tried emailing Jerry a week ago, but haven't had any kind of
acknowledgement. So, what has happened? Any idea when/if it'll be back
in operation? (Jerry, are you anywhere to be seen?)

Stewart.

Nick Theodorakis

Hello all....

(Yes, I'm finally back, for those who haven't realised already.)

http://www.allmyfaqs.com/

I've noticed in the last few weeks that every page on that site has been
read only for however long, and that there are no updates since September.

I tried emailing Jerry a week ago, but haven't had any kind of
acknowledgement. So, what has happened? Any idea when/if it'll be back
in operation? (Jerry, are you anywhere to be seen?)

There was a discussion here couple of months ago:

<http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.html/browse_thread/thread/2e087aefd33df92c?tvc=2>

(I had also had a brief email discussion with Jerry)

Briefly, Jerry was considering letting the domain lapse, but after
some pleading from several users, a way was found to keep it running.
I suspect he was discouraged by the drive-by link-spammers.

Nick

Jukka K. Korpela

Briefly, Jerry was considering letting the domain lapse, but after
some pleading from several users, a way was found to keep it running.
I suspect he was discouraged by the drive-by link-spammers.

So, basically, AllMyFAQs isn't a wiki any more, is it?
The information at http://www.allmyfaqs.com/ under "AllMyFAQs is:"
would not be correct then. That page seems to be read-only, too.

Stewart Gordon

Nick Theodorakis wrote:

Yes, I looked at that thread the other day. The only input from Jerry
on that thread was "... and it looks like the site is back up." Was it
briefly properly back up, or was "up" short for "up but read only"?
(I had also had a brief email discussion with Jerry)

Briefly, Jerry was considering letting the domain lapse, but after
some pleading from several users, a way was found to keep it running.
I suspect he was discouraged by the drive-by link-spammers.

Letting a domain lapse is always a Bad Idea. Pornographers are always
on the lookout for expired domains to take over.

As for link-spammers, requiring users to log in before they can edit
seems to work for some....

Stewart.