playing sound in mac osx

tooru honda

Hi,

I am a newbie to mac and python.

Is there an easy way to play wav or mp3 sound file ? I used to use
winsound module before switching to mac, but that only works for windows.

Thanks

Tooru

P.S. I am using Mac OSX 10.4.8 and Python 2.5

Diez B. Roggisch

tooru said:
Hi,

I am a newbie to mac and python.

Is there an easy way to play wav or mp3 sound file ? I used to use
winsound module before switching to mac, but that only works for windows.

pygame might help.

Diez

Dennis Lee Bieber

Is there really no cross-platform audio capability in the standard library?
Probably not, as there isn't a common player method in the various
OS systems <G>... While there were a few OS specific modules (msvcrt) in
Python, they seem to be carry-overs from early days and wouldn't be made
"standard" if suggested now.

E:\>cd Music\Amarantine

E:\Music\Amarantine>python
ActivePython 2.4.3 Build 12 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
Python 2.4.3 (#69, Apr 11 2006, 15:32:42) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
win32

Is sufficient to start the defined "player" on WinXP (and block the
program while it plays, while the Windows particular os.startfile()
returns immediately, letting the player run stand-alone). But whether
other OSs will "start" a data file in a defined program is not something
one can rely upon.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/