Problem connecting to SMTP/IMAP server using SSL

Julien

Hi,

I'm able to connect to an Exchange server via SMTP and IMAP from my
iPhone using SSL and without using a VPN. So I would expect to be able
to do the same from my computer using Python.

However, the following hangs and times out on my computer when I'm not
connected to the VPN:

If I am connected to the VPN, then it works fine.

Do you know why it won't work with SSL and without the VPN? Am I
missing something?

Thanks a lot,

Julien

Michael Hrivnak

That method uses the default port 993. Can you connect to that port
at all from your computer? For example, try using a telnet client.

Michael

Julien

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I did try port 993. I know that port generally
works for me, as I can access the Gmail IMAP/SMTP server using SSL. It
also works for that other Exchange server but only when the VPN is
turned on.

Somehow my iPhone works fine without a VPN, as long as it uses SSL. So
I'm really unsure why I can't achieve the same thing from my laptop
using imaplib.IMAP4_SSL() without the VPN turned on.

Thank you,

Julien

Michael Hrivnak

Your phone may be using TLS on the normal IMAP port (143). Or, are
you sure your phone is using IMAP and not active sync?

Michael