Python for S60 mentioned in a mainstream Finnish e-news website

Ville Vainio

http://digitoday.fi/showPage.php?page_id=9&news_id=40179

Literal translation for those who can't read Finnish:

Nokia has published the Open Source Python language for Series 60
based mobile devices. The company states that the language makes it
easy for the wordwide Python community to execute commands and run
scripts and apps in the devices.

The language is available for free from the Nokia developer pages and
can be installed on a S60 device with an installation package.

- Python makes the mobile app devepment easy for the programmers who
are looking for a rapid and developer friendly way to develop
mobile applications, says Director Lee Epting from Forum Nokia.

Nokia believes that Python for Series 60 is a good fit for developing
prototype- and proof-of-concept apps. The company characterizes the
language as efficient and relatively easy to learn.

Ville Vainio

Of course there is the whole hog and more in the official Nokia press
release, this time in English:

http://press.nokia.com/PR/200501/978226_5.html

It also paints an accurate and quite positive picture of Python. Now
we just need ctypes or Symbianic Swig and world domination will be
ours ;-).

(Yeah, ctypes will probably be a problem because of the way Symbian
handles DLLs)

Thomas Heller

Ville Vainio said:
Of course there is the whole hog and more in the official Nokia press
release, this time in English:

http://press.nokia.com/PR/200501/978226_5.html

It also paints an accurate and quite positive picture of Python. Now
we just need ctypes or Symbianic Swig and world domination will be
ours ;-).

(Yeah, ctypes will probably be a problem because of the way Symbian
handles DLLs)

How *does* symbian handle DLLs?

Curious,

Thomas

Ville Vainio

Thomas> How *does* symbian handle DLLs?

By ordinal, so the dll does not include the symbol name (in order to
keep the size small). Linker finds the ordinals from the .LIB file
that corresponds to the DLL.

(Someone who knows better might want to correct me if I'm wrong).

Irmen de Jong

Ville said:
Thomas> How *does* symbian handle DLLs?

By ordinal, so the dll does not include the symbol name (in order to
keep the size small). Linker finds the ordinals from the .LIB file
that corresponds to the DLL.

(Someone who knows better might want to correct me if I'm wrong).

<offtopic>
Heh, this somehow reminds me about the way shared libraries were
implemented on the Amiga.
No linking step; the function entry points were essentially a
big jump table in the library structure with every function having
a unique offset from the library's base.
Proved to make it very simple to patch OS functions too: just
patch the jump address in the jump table to jump to the patched
library function...
</offtopic>

Irmen

Diez B. Roggisch

Heh, this somehow reminds me about the way shared libraries were
implemented on the Amiga.
No linking step; the function entry points were essentially a
big jump table in the library structure with every function having
a unique offset from the library's base.
Proved to make it very simple to patch OS functions too: just
patch the jump address in the jump table to jump to the patched
library function...
</offtopic>

The good old times - only address 4 was used, and then you loaded everything
else. I'm no dynamic loading expert - but I don't think that in the end,
things are much different - just a layer of indirection for a jump target.