python is going to die! =(

Jeremy Bowers

But why so much resistence to the change ?

Why do you care?

Are you being paid to care?

If people come up with good answers to your questions, will you devote
your personal time to helping implement them?

In light of the fact the answer to that is almost certainly "no", why
should we care what you think?

Do you think the answers to these questions have more to do with your cool
reception then "resistance to change"?

Let me help you with that one: Yes.

I have to say, from my point of view, you are advocating moving
*backwards*. You will interpret that as resistance to change. I feel I
must invoke the parable of Blub here:

http://www.paulgraham.com/avg.html

C# is your Blub.

Cliff Wells

But why so much resistence to the change ? is the denyal of reality fine?
why dont you care? i wouldnt care if i used python for small system
scripts.

Julio, you have convinced me. I *am* going to change. I am going to
double my productivity by not reading or responding to silly postings
like this anymore. I doubt any IDE in the world is going to bring back
the time everyone here (yourself included) has wasted listening to you
berate people for not programming the way you do.

Regards,
Cliff

Hans Nowak

julio wrote:

With a subject like that, you don't really need to read the message to figure
out that it's an obvious troll. I don't want to feed it, but between all the
"crap" and "retarded" rhetoric, some actual points can be discerned. A few
comments are in order...
What does c# .net has that python doesnt ? (significant features)

-- tools,tools,tools : have people that likes python ever used an ide? i
mean a good ide, the one that saves you a lot of time, and makes you
productive.

Such an IDE will only make you significantly more productive if the language is
inherently *UN*productive. There's a reason full-fledged IDEs are popular with
languages like Java and C# and less popular with Python. I haven't done much
Java programming, but when I did, I was constantly looking up stuff (classes,
methods, types, etc); in that kind of environment, code completion, tooltips
etc are very useful. Without them, programming in these languages is (even
more of) a pain. In Python, I don't very often need to look things up, and if
I do, the interactive interpreter can be a great help. As a result, a text
editor suffices for most Python programming, even for large projects. (Some
people might want to use an IDE anyway, but that is mostly a matter of
preference, not of necessity.)
-- C # is almost perfetly designed, python is very well designed but it has
some crap that obscurize it and is not going to be removed because of the
damn backwards compatibility thing,

The "damn backwards compatibility thing" guarantees that older Python code
still runs, more or less unchanged, on recent interpreters. (Well, most of the
time.)
-- C # is easy to use,fast apps coding (as python) but!! it has all the
advantages of a compiled language , like less bugs concerning silly types
mistakes , ides and tools can take much much more advantage of static
typing , it is much much much faster , and finally is much more readable
than python since i dont have to be guessing in the woods to know what type
of value a function return , or what types are the functions argument or
WTF does 'return MOM' means?

This is only an issue if you think the actual types of things are important.
Code like

def foo(x, y):
x.this()
y.that()

doesn't *need* types. All Python cares about is that x has the this() method,
and that y has the that() method. The actual types are unimportant. This is
an important difference from languages like C# (and Java, ObjectPascal, C++,
yadda yadda), and allows for entirely different coding styles and design. If
you think this is a problem or a deficiency, then you don't understand what
Python (or dynamic languages in general, really) is all about.
-- C # is killing python, first the gnome guys dont know what to choose for
their core system development , if mono-C # ? or java ? the only reason C #
hasnt being choosen is because of legal issues, and java? well it realy
sucks so no surprise , but is considered just because eclipse wich is the
most kick ass ide ever. AND they dont even consider python for a high level
language to choose!!

If they're choosing between Java and C#, they were obviously not interested in
high-level languages. Also, the article you mention in another post
(http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39166682,00.htm) says:

"""Waugh conceded that the decision to move to a higher level programming
language is partly a political one. Two major corporate backers of the GNOME
project have competing technologies -- Novell with the Mono project and Sun
Microsystems with Java."""

Timothy Grant

Thank you Julio, I'm now beginning to see the error of my ways in
developing GUI software in Vim. I didn't know that it was so difficult
and futile until I read these posts. So I'm going to give up on it and
now put all of my effort into porting VisualStudio to Linux so I can
write GUI apps in Visual Basic the way they were meant to be written.

Jussi Jumppanen

julio said:
No help in real programing?

If you work on the Windows platform then take a look at
the Zeus programmers editor:

http://www.zeusedit.com/lookmain.html
why? why do i need to press a retarded button
to indent-deindent reindent stuff but i dont need help with

Zeus has SmartIndent which automatically handles the indenting
of code. When it comes to indenting it even understands the
special needs of Python :)
integrated help system,

Zeus has QuickHelp. Point it a WinHelp or HtmlHelp file and it
will do the rest:

http://www.zeusedit.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7
code completion, source assistant, a freaking decent calltips
support, etc ?

Zeus has templates macros even intellisensing. You can also
write macros using Python.

Best of all Zeus does not care language you program in. It will
also work just as well as an IDE for c# :)

Jussi Jumppanen
http://www.zeusedit.com

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

I think is a fact, reality , there is just no way python is going to
survive, i would be happy if someone knows or see something i dont ,
because i realy like python,

Not just *someone* - On the basis of this rant I think the set of people
who "someone knows or see something" you don't would include about 85% of
the population!!

Now, quit trolling and go back to class!

Gerrit

Rene said:
Abe Mathews:

I use WingIDE, and I don't know what I'm missing. It just works for the
occasional debugging, and what else is there?

What does an IDE really do beyond editing + debugging? Because of
Python's dynamic nature, I've never needed a debugger, print statements
always worked perfectly. As for editing, well, I like Vim.

regards,
Gerrit.

Jerome Chan

"Simon John said:
Don't feed the troll.

If he needs an IDE, then he is not a programmer, he's a code monkey,
just like Java guys - they're a dime a dozen as they can't code, they
rely on the auto-completion and drag'n'drop of visual IDEs.

Just my 2 cents.

I would love it if Python had an ide like Smalltalk's.

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

IBM doesn't support
projects like Eclipse because they want more "stupid untalented code
monkeys".

Actually, they do, very much!

Stupid == Cost Effective --> Good Bottomline --> Large Bonus to
Management!!

The Holy Grail of software delopment is to be able to have a few
"architects" specify in suffiecient detail so the "builders" (i.e.
Trained Monkeys) can produce completed applications;

The problem is of course that one spend soo much time "specifying" that
by the time the "monkeys" could possibly do the job, it is already 90%
done (Then Management spend another 100% on getting the "monkeys" to
implement the remaining 10% witout messing up the rest ;-).

Unfortunately, that's what keep Management busy & happy - and if it
worked for Henry Ford 100 years ago, then it has better be made to work
for software too.

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

mail. Is people so close minded to resist change ? things change , is
human's nature to resist the change.

*I*, for one, am not opposed to changing your face, Troll.

Ville Vainio

Julio> mmm , i like to program , i like open source i hate m$ , i
Julio> like python , i dont like c# cause its still in m$ domains
Julio> , i like c# monodevelop and sharpdevelop and there is no
Julio> real python ide avaiable so i dont have to memorize the
Julio> 2000 libraries and functions and their behavior to think
Julio> about programing seriusly, and the python proyects,adoption
Julio> and development is decreasing more and more. so ..

I don't really believe in extrapolating too much from the textual
characteristics of your post, but I think you'd do much better by
picking a statically typed language like C# for your proyects.

Heiko Wundram

Am Montag, 20. September 2004 11:36 schrieb Ville Vainio:
I don't really believe in extrapolating too much from the textual
characteristics of your post, but I think you'd do much better by
picking a statically typed language like C# for your proyects.

LOLOL!

+1 for comment of the week...

Heiko.

Heiko Wundram

Am Montag, 20. September 2004 05:17 schrieb Hans Nowak:
If they're choosing between Java and C#, they were obviously not interested
in high-level languages. Also, the article you mention in another post
(http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/applications/0,39020384,39166682,00.htm)
says:

"""Waugh conceded that the decision to move to a higher level programming
language is partly a political one. Two major corporate backers of the
GNOME project have competing technologies -- Novell with the Mono project
and Sun Microsystems with Java."""

<quote>
"In the meantime a lot of software has been written in Python," he said. "But,
as yet we have not written anything in the official GNOME release in a
language other than C. We have included bindings for Java, so you can use the
GNOME libraries directly from Java which means you don't have to use that
awful Swing. We also have C++, Perl and Python bindings. All are supported we
just haven't committed to any of them yet for core GNOME modules."
</quote>

(from just that same article you quoted)

I wonder what this comment means? Python is mentioned as the first language by
GNOME's head maintainer, so I guess he can't be all that Python-hostile, can
he? Much rather, he's forced to do a political decision, and the PSF doesn't
fund GNOME yet, I hope. I wouldn't mind them funding KDE e.V., though... Let
the flamewars begin. ;)

Heiko.

Thorsten Kampe

* julio (2004-09-20 01:53 +0200)
So am i missing something ? are any of my arguments wrong ? again :

Let me correct this:
"So am I missing something? Are any of my arguments wrong? Again:"

Maybe there is no real enterprise class IDE for Python but Python
won't "die" of that. As many people have stated: because of the
exorbitant complexity of C++ and Java these languages need an IDE to
master them while Python doesn't.

But anyway: the days of one-language IDEs are gone. Do you want a
different IDE for all your programming languages? Komodo is a step
into the right direction.

Your other "arguments": The google jam doesn't look for Perl or C
programs either. Does it mean that Perl or C are going to die?

C# may have all the advantages a compiled language has - but also
every disadvantage. Do you really think that you will get a clue what
"return MOM" means - just because you know it returns a string? The
type of an object is not important.

By the way: mind your language. If you want to be taken seriuosly, you
shouldn't write like a twelve year old child on steroids.

Thorsten

Michael Sparks

julio said:
-- tools,tools,tools : have people that likes python ever used an ide?
i mean a good ide, the one that saves you a lot of time, and makes you
productive.

If I understand you right, this is the key crux to your argument.

Languages don't die, they just go away for a while to return again
later. Killing a language is very, very, very difficult. People have
been trying to do this to Lisp, COBOL and FORTRAN for decades now, and
not succeeded yet. Mere apathy very rarely works.

(not entirely serious, but hopefully you get the point :)
Is there a posibility python survives 2 years more at least?

Yes. It's survived in an evolving form despite the growth of C++, Java,
C#, Perl over it's lifespan.

Michael.
--
(e-mail address removed)
British Broadcasting Corporation, Research and Development

This message (and any attachments) may contain personal views
which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.

Wilk

julio said:
Abe Mathews wrote:

If you consider a language used by 5 crazy guys not being dead then
fine. And maybe you can see languages as just interchangeable tools when you
just develop some custom system scripts, but when 90% of the developers
need to consider how many developers you will find to start a proyect, or
how the tools that increase your productivity are ,things looks diferent.

It is exactly as you said, options are good , and there are no options for a
real python ide other than the wingide guys sells their ide for a
ridiculously 200$ because they have no competition or because no one realy
cares about a real python ide.

"no one realy cares about a real python ide". It's this the point... Ask
you why no one cares about a what you call a "real python ide". Simply
because we don't need, python is so clear, so simple, so efficient that
we don't need that a program take our hand to program. Why we don't need
a graphical tools to design gui or report ? not because we just write
litle script but the opposite. Big application with hundred of ui and
hundred of rapports will be a big pain and unmaintainable to do it with
mouse ! And finaly if you do litle application you don't really need a
complex graphical ide...
Graphical ide are good for bad langages that nobody want to learn and
remember. For example when i must use msaccess, i'm happy to can click
everywhere. But if i need to do something serious with the database i
create an odbc link and code in python+emacs.

Maybe you don't like or understand python, but you will not like it more
with any ide i think.

Before C# it was java, it was VB, it was plenty of graphical ide that
could "kill python", strangely, python was never so full of live !

Thorsten Kampe

* Hans Nowak (2004-09-20 05:17 +0200)
The "damn backwards compatibility thing" guarantees that older Python code
still runs, more or less unchanged, on recent interpreters. (Well, most of the
time.)

I've never seen such a "progressive" language as Python. Not many
people care about "backwards compatibility" to Python 1.5.2 for
instance.

New language constructs are rapidly adopted; often you can hear
someone say: "in Python 2.4 you could write this as..." ... and noone
objects. Now if that isn't progressive...

Thorsten

Heiko Wundram

Am Montag, 20. September 2004 13:25 schrieb Thorsten Kampe:
New language constructs are rapidly adopted; often you can hear
someone say: "in Python 2.4 you could write this as..." ... and noone
objects. Now if that isn't progressive...

It's not about code written for 2.4 being backwards compatible to 1.5.2 (this
is also complicated by the fact that the stdlib is constantly growing, and
that's fine), but that code which was written for 1.5.2 will still run on
2.4... And that's a big help!

Heiko.

Dennis Lee Bieber

What does an IDE really do beyond editing + debugging? Because of
Python's dynamic nature, I've never needed a debugger, print statements
always worked perfectly. As for editing, well, I like Vim.
For pure coding, not much...

The only features of VS that I found important was the GUI
builder/code stub portion; and that mostly because of M$s lack of easily
found and understandable documentation on how to write such an
application from scratch.

The old SAS/C (on my ancient Amiga) didn't have an IDE -- but it
did have AREXX linkages so that the compiler error report
program/listing could invoke the editor positioning the cursor on the
file/line/column from the error message.