Response Buffer Limit Exceeded

Steve Bywaters

I have the following error on a page ... I can fix it by making a large-ish
block of text (almostr 4k) a little smaller.
But what is ASP actually complaining about?

Steve

Response object error 'ASP 0251 : 80004005'

Response Buffer Limit Exceeded

/lsm/TemplateKb2.asp, line 0

Execution of the ASP page caused the Response Buffer to exceed its
configured limit.

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Steve Bywaters said:
..and yes, the text is dynamicaly displayed, via asp.

So it all adds up???

a max of 4K?
I don't believe this.

Note An ASP application uses internal server buffers when writing data to
the client, irrespective of the value of Response.Buffer. As the application
is writing data synchronously, the data buffer can be reused when the
BinaryWrite function returns, while the server is writing the data
asynchronously to the client. The server, in turn, makes a copy of the data
into its internal buffers. As a result of this buffering, the ASP
application should not try to send unreasonable amounts of data in a single
BinaryWrite, but rather break it into fragments so as to avoid running out
of buffer space. Should the buffer space be exceeded, ASP error 251,
"response exceeds the buffer limit," will be returned. While the default
maximum buffer size is 4MB, the server administrator may increase it.

Using adsutil.vbs
you can ask what's the buffer at the moment

ADSUTIL GET W3SVC/1/Root/AspBufferingLimit

If the parameter is not set, it should default to 4MB. In that cause, your
script really generates 4MB which is not healthy :)