Running Direct3D lib under IIS process

terdthai

I have created a D3D lib (it is a COM dll) used for off-screen
rendering. And make a web service API. Then people can call the web
API and get a snapshot back from their scene (not define yet, just
want to run the system first). My target system is windows server 2003
R2. I have test an ordinary D3D application and it ran fine on the
machine. However, when I made a call through the web service API that
called the D3D to create D3D device, it fail to create the device with
unknown error returned, the output for D3D debugger runtime was
something like "Graphics hardware acceleration is disabled". This has
happened before when I ran the normal D3D application but to fix it, I
just went to Display Properties->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshoot and
moved the slider bar of "Hardware acceleration from "none" to "full"
then the D3D application could run fine. but this does not work with
the call from web service API.

* When I ran the process explorer, I saw the D3D lib was running under
iis process. Is there something to do with it?
* I have implemented web service API using C# and D3D lib is in-
process COM dll written in C/C++
* My graphics card is geforce7950.
* If possible I don't want to migrate in-process COM to out-of-process
COM. It is a performance issue.
* I have latest graphics driver.

Does anybody has a clue about this one?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

[...]

Are you using classic ASP or ASP.Net for this? (From the C# comment,
it looks like you are using .Net)