    about the nature of the work I've done... I really want to give
    something back to the community I've taken so much from in the past.

    Thanks in advance.

    Clint Norton, Oct 9, 2005

  2. Clint Norton

    Mike Meyer Guest

    Well, if there's some software you use on a regular basis, that's a
    good start. Python itself is a candidate. If the goal is just to
    contribute, start going through the bugs database, and see if you can
    contribute patches that fix some of the reporrted bugs.

    <mike

    Mike Meyer, Oct 10, 2005

  3. Clint Norton

    Clint Norton Guest

    Well,
    I though about it but I'm looking for something a little more
    interesting then bug fixing...
    Anyway, wouldn't it be to difficult to get into a huge project like
    python itself? Wouldn't it be a better idea to walk into a project that
    only have a few developers in it?
    I was thinking of the mozilla calender project (which is usfull and
    i think is the smallest mozilla project) but I'm not really into c++.
    Maybe I should take a look at some of the modules I've used and see if
    I can help there.

    Thanks,
    CN

    Clint Norton, Oct 10, 2005
  4. Clint Norton

    Peter Decker Guest

    Don't know if you have any interest in desktop applications, but there
    is a project named Dabo that is the sole work of two guys. It is a
    complete desktop application framework, designed to build apps to work
    with any sort of databases. I use it mostly for the excellent job they
    have done wrapping wxPython.

    They are working on developing a set of tools to aid in GUI
    development, such as a form designer, and I'm sure that they would
    welcome the help of any competent developer.

    Peter Decker, Oct 10, 2005
  5. Clint Norton

    Mike Meyer Guest

    Bug fixing is an easy way to start learning the code and providing an
    immediate contribution to the project. As for interesting - you gotta
    pick the right buggs :).
    Depends on what you mean by "get into". Learning your way around part
    of the project is going to be the same no matter how big the project
    is, though the parts may be smaller. Becoming a contributor is going
    to be about the same no matter how big the project is - most project
    will accept patches from pretty much anyone. Becoming a key figure in
    the project - yeah, that's harder for larger projects. I can't really
    help with that.
    How does that relate to comp.lang.python (as if I'm one to complain
    about off-topic posts here...)?

    <mike

    Mike Meyer, Oct 10, 2005
  6. Clint Norton

    Clint Norton Guest

    Well, I meant python modules offcourse ;-)

    Clint Norton, Oct 10, 2005
  7. Clint Norton

    Robert Kern Guest

    We could always use more algorithms in scipy. scipy is a large, fairly
    loose collection of numerical algorithms. Currently we're in a
    transitional period; we're moving over to the new array object (yes,
    another one), so the website is a bit out of date. Fortunately, scipy is
    loose enough that you could simply jump in and implement a new algorithm
    without needing to concern yourself much with the rest of the library. I
    suggest poking around the latest SVN branches (listed below) to get a
    feel of what's already in there, and then introducing yourself on the
    scipy-dev list. I can give you more direct advice about what's missing
    and what we would like to include.

    http://scipy.org/
    http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy_core/branches/newcore/
    http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/branches/newscipy/

    --
    Robert Kern

    -- Richard Harter

    Robert Kern, Oct 10, 2005
  8. That's excellent advice. Maybe some bug in there sounds interesting.
    Also, you could review some of the submitted patches in areas you
    find interesting (leading you to the mystical 5 reviews that help
    get your patches reviewed). It is a slightly gentle introduction
    to the process, and reviewing a patch can be thought of a getting
    a mini guided tour.

    --Scott David Daniels

    Scott David Daniels, Oct 10, 2005