Searching for Exact Phrase - should I ignore the ignore words?

Rob Meade

Lo all,

I was just running through some code I was writing for a site and when it
came to the 'exact phrase' search type I wasn't sure whether that should run
through and ignore the words in the ignore list or not.

I ran off and checked your ASPFAQ webby and I notice that Aaron still strips
them out, I was just wondering if this is the usual way to deal with that
search type, or whether there were good reasons when creating it to still
ignore the ignore words

My thoughts being that when giving the user an option 'exact phrase' they
may believe that every word they enter would be used etc - I seem to
remember reading something on the Google webby about Google and it saying
how it ignored the ignore words contained within the " " etc - so obviously
Google / ASPFAQ are similar in the approach - I'm not trying to re-invent
the wheel or anything it just struck me as a little odd at the time.

Anyone got any thoughts on this, ie, should I still remove the ignore words
from the search criteria on an 'exact phrase' search or not.

Thanks in advance for any help (nearly finished this now - yay!)...

Regards

Rob

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

I was just running through some code I was writing for a site and when it
came to the 'exact phrase' search type I wasn't sure whether that should run
through and ignore the words in the ignore list or not.

I ran off and checked your ASPFAQ webby and I notice that Aaron still strips
them out

Not anymore, you make a great point.

Rob Meade

Not anymore, you make a great point.

Seriously? So you no longer disregard the words in the ignore word array
after the submission of the search criteria for the 'exact phrase' ?

Regards

Rob

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Seriously? So you no longer disregard the words in the ignore word array
after the submission of the search criteria for the 'exact phrase' ?

Did you try it?

Rob Meade

Did you try it?

Funnily enough I did after I saw your post....I never feel that my
suggestions/comments here are always much use...was quite surprised when
you'd mentioned you'd changed it as I wasn't suggesting really that it
should be, only querying that that was the right way to do it for what I was
doing :eek:)

Regards

Rob

Aaron Bertrand [MVP]

I never feel that my
suggestions/comments here are always much use

Just remember that you don't have to be a guru to provide valuable feedback.