Self-configuring classes

Joe Attardi

You are out of date.
Now *that* is an insult, you moron.

^^^ QFT

I couldn't put it any better myself.

Careful Jack, he'll report you to your ISP for being very very
naughty!

JackT

Careful Jack, he'll report you to your ISP
for being very very naughty!

Twisted's ISP is Bell Canada.
Twisted's real name is Paul D.

(He was involved in an equally heated
debate on another newsgroup, and people there
finally confirmed his real name, with evidence!)

Owen Jacobson

Some obscure blog posting from a blog no-one reads. That's your
evidence against me?

What about the first google hit for "swing event dispatch thread":

<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/concurrency/
index.html>

That page lays out the threading responsibilities of Swing
programmers, and the *very next page* in the trail contains an example
snippet:

Sun posted:
You can see examples of this throughout the Swing tutorial:

SwingUtilities.invokeLater(new Runnable()) {
public void run() {
createAndShowGUI();
}
}"

That same example is the *second* link for the google search "java
event dispatch thread".

But let's say you don't know anything about event dispatch threads at
all! Let's say you're just getting started with Swing. Searching
google for "swing tutorial" gets you the Sun JFC/Swing tutorial at
<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/>. The inline
examples mostly use SwingUtilities; the few remaining examples of the
"old way" are slowly being corrected by Sun.

In JavaSE 6, a lengthy note was added to the API documentation for the
javax.swing package (<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/
swing/package-summary.html#package_description>) outlining how and why
Swing classes are thread-unsafe and how to use them correctly. It's
reasonable to expect developers to check the API docs for APIs they
use under new versions of the JDK sooner or later.

Eh, until you've presented some UI my understanding has been that the
EDT doesn't even exist yet; it's created lazily. So invokeLater might
be waiting a very long time, given that the UI waits for invokeLater
to invoke its argument before existing, invokeLater waits for the EDT
to exist to invoke its argument, and the EDT waits for the UI to exist
before starting...or has something in that department been changed? I
do hope it's not now true that all console apps however trivial
generate a useless EDT wasting memory and slowing down startup?

SwingUtilities' invokeNow and invokeAndWait methods both reliably
create and start the EDT if it isn't running, just like any GUI
component. This isn't as well-documented as it could be (you have to
read between the lines a bit in the API javadocs), but the tutorials
do make it very clear that this is what these two methods will do.
Also, ISTR SwingUtilities being a third-party (but commonplace) class,
not a standard Java class at all. Are you sure that one of the primary
Sun tutorials is assuming people have installed it, and not a third-
party tutorial or another of those blog postings?

The SwingUtilities class is in the package javax.swing, and is
provided as part of the Java Standard Edition platform at least as of
Java 1.3; you'd have to check the API docs yourself to see if it was
available earlier than that.

Twisted

[snip ... reasonably civil right up until:]

You're [insult deleted].

Even when people point out [insult deleted]
you still insist on defending your argument
to the bitter stupid end.

When people insult me, yes, I do defend myself. What? I should just
lie down and die instead, on your say-so? Yeah. You wish.

[more insults deleted, sprinkled with a bit of Java code to make it
look at first glance like it might actually have been on-topic]

Twisted

Careful Jack, he'll report you to your ISP
for being very very naughty!

Twisted's ISP is [snip]
Twisted's real name is [snip attempted invasion of privacy]

Your attempts to violate the law have been reported to Telus and to
Google Groups. Expect to lose both accounts fucktard. You crossed the
line!

And Attardi, don't encourage this type of serious abuse!

Joe Attardi

Twisted said:
Your attempts to violate the law have been reported to Telus and to
Google Groups. Expect to lose both accounts fucktard. You crossed the
line!
What law did he violate? Saying what your name and ISP are?

Twisted

On Aug 4, 1:58 am, (e-mail address removed) wrote:> Some obscure blog posting from a blog no-one reads. That's your

java.net is hardly an obscure site. You should read it, though some
blog postings are fluff, there is a lot of good stuff from a lot of
knowledgeable people at Sun.

Really. Well why haven't I heard of it then? And when did it become
required reading, on pain of vicious flamage? I already spend too much
time out of each day catching up on blogs; I hardly need yet another
one added to the pile. Not to mention too much time out of each day
catching up on usenet; I never seem to actually get finished, because
by the time I am done replying some turkey has already posted a nasty
response that requires rebuttal. :p

Joe Attardi

Twisted said:
Really. Well why haven't I heard of it then? And when did it become
required reading, on pain of vicious flamage?
Vicious flamage? I simply told you it was not obscure, and suggested
that you read it, because it is a good site.

Sensitive much?

JackT

Your attempts to violate the law have been reported to Telus and to
Google Groups. Expect to lose both accounts fucktard. You crossed the
line!

You're a moron!!! Ha!

I sited your name and your ISP. Now...

(1) You yourself sited Joe Attardi's ISP just a few minutes ago.

(2) Your name was announced by Hunter in comp.lang.java.programmer
a few days ago. And it was announced in rec.games.roguelike.angband
a while back. Just search google groups... You know how to do that,
don't you? You stupid moron.

Gee. Go. Complain. That way more people (and this case,
the tech support) can laugh at your stupidity. You stupid
dickless ****. Ha!

Joe Attardi

JackT said:
You're a moron!!! Ha!

I sited your name and your ISP. Now...

(1) You yourself sited Joe Attardi's ISP just a few minutes ago.

(2) Your name was announced by Hunter in comp.lang.java.programmer
a few days ago. And it was announced in rec.games.roguelike.angband
a while back. Just search google groups... You know how to do that,
don't you? You stupid moron.

Gee. Go. Complain. That way more people (and this case,
the tech support) can laugh at your stupidity. You stupid
dickless ****. Ha!

Make sure you post once a day, Jack, so you can prove that Twisted is
full of shit (and empty threats).

Dear Comcast,

Joe Attardi said mean things to me, and Jack T said....my name and ISP.
Please take away their intarwebs!

Love,
Twisted

Twisted

What about the first google hit for "swing event dispatch thread":

[everything else snipped as it follows from a bogus premise and is
thus invalidated]

Now why, pray tell, would someone who already knows Swing's basics and
has programmed Swing apps for years perform the Google search you
suggest?

If I had something I wanted to do that was new to me and involved
Swing I might perform such a search. If I'm typing a code snippet from
perfectly good memory of what I already know, why would it occur to me
to perform a search at all? Just in case something has been changed by
Sun? Are you therefore suggesting that all of us perform that specific
search every single day just in case Sun has decided to change
something about Swing's functionality on that particular day? And how
many other searches should we spend minutes on each and every day,
pray tell? Another one regarding the I/O classes I suppose, and
another for the collection classes ... maybe a couple of dozen all
told I suppose?

Yeah, right. In a pig's eye. I won't stand for being told to do all of
those searches, all the time, in case something's changed since the
last time, on pain of being violently treated. Instead I will object
to violent treatment should any materialize.
In JavaSE 6, a lengthy note was added to the API documentation

without fanfare. People already familiar with the API won't notice it.
They go straight to the method reference when they need to look
something up. Class comments and package.html are consulted generally
by newbies to the package or class in question, or if they don't find
the answer to a specific question in the obvious place in the method
documentation, as a rule. So it's a piss-poor place to put an
announcement intended for everyone already familiar with that API to
read. The changes information accompanying the new version is the
place, with anything developers should take note of coming first, then
new major features (e.g. generics or regexps), then minor stuff/
bugfixes.
This isn't as well-documented as it could be

That's putting it mildly.
Tutorials do make it very clear that this is what these two methods will do.

Tutorials an old hand has no obvious reason to revisit, without
specific prompting.
The SwingUtilities class is in the package javax.swing, and is
provided as part of the Java Standard Edition platform at least as of
Java 1.3; you'd have to check the API docs yourself to see if it was
available earlier than that.

Maybe it was SwingWorker that was third-party. Some SwingSomething is,
anyway, and I seem to recall it being mentioned in conjunction with
SwingUtilities a lot if it wasn't itself SwingUtilities.

Twisted

What law did he violate? Saying what your name and ISP are?

Saying what he *thinks* my name is, yes. It's attempted invasion of
privacy. There's a reason people often go anonymous online, jackass;
it's because they don't want to get stalked or harassed offline by
some random wackjob from the Internet. I, in particular, don't choose
to expose myself unnecessarily to that risk. Jack T, in behaving as he
is doing, appears to be attempting, in fact, to start stalking me
offline. Fortunately, my ISP is going to mislead him around in circles
-- very big circles anyway, since it serves a continent-sized area. As
for my name, well, he can keep guessing. He might actually get it
right in another thousand tries. Although he'll have been thrown off
both local broadband providers and then every dial-up provider in his
city for attempted invasion of privacy long before he gets the chance
to make a thousand tries.

You should note that I already had another wackjob LARTed for the same
offense. I reported his ass twice to Google Groups (which, like Jack
T, he was using to post) without results; when he posted a third
attack, I emailed his broadband provider and he promptly vanished.
Jack T's connection now likewise probably has another few hours to
live -- a day or two if he's lucky and they don't process my abuse
complaint until Monday morning. With luck, he won't be making the same
mistake twice even if he does get reconnected with another provider.
Not when a second LARTing means being stuck with dial-up or spending
$thousands to move to a different city.

Twisted

Vicious flamage? I simply told you it was not obscure, and suggested
that you read it, because it is a good site.

Sensitive much?

I wasn't referring to your post; I was referring to the vicious post
that started this whole mess, apparently from someone who does indeed
consider that blog required reading "or else".

Regardless, there must be a less nasty way of notifying Java
programmers of such a change than by waiting for them to refer to the
old version of whatever changed in cljp and then jumping down their
throat for being unaware of the change!

Joe Attardi

Twisted said:
Saying what he *thinks* my name is, yes.

There's nothing illegal about that, you idiot. You give yourself way too
much credit. Your abuse complaint will fall on deaf ears, just like it
did with my ISP.

Now stop being a crybaby!

Twisted

[nothing but insults, none of which are true]

Yeah, yeah. Get it all said while you still have a working connection.

Twisted

[snip insulting caricature and some other BS]

So far I've left Comcast out of it. You haven't seriously crossed the
line ... yet. Jack T, on the other hand, in attempting to discover my
real name, has revealed himself to be a more serious threat; heck if
he'd not guessed wrong, he might even now be stalking me physically,
with a knife or something, the nutjob, and I could be in genuine
danger! Fortunately he did guess wrong, and he's just as doomed as
Hunter was, since attempting to breach a user's choice of anonymity is
a serious violation.

Joe Attardi

Twisted said:
[nothing but insults, none of which are true]

Yeah, yeah. Get it all said while you still have a working connection.
Wow Twisted, you're such a fucking tough guy because you email people's
abuse departments. What a pussy.

Joe Attardi

Twisted said:
[snip insulting caricature and some other BS]

So far I've left Comcast out of it.
So you didn't even email them to begin with? I knew you were full of shit.
Jack T, on the other hand, in attempting to discover my
real name, has revealed himself to be a more serious threat; heck if
he'd not guessed wrong, he might even now be stalking me physically,
with a knife or something, the nutjob, and I could be in genuine
danger!
Stop with the manufactured drama.

Twisted

Twisted said:
[snip insulting caricature and some other BS]
So far I've left Comcast out of it.

So you didn't even email them to begin with? I knew you were full of shit.

No, I reported your abusive gmail-transmitted emails to Google, who
apparently suspended your gmail/Google Groups privileges for a week or
two. (This of course means that your purported postings to some web
forums prove nothing.)

[makes light of my being at risk from Jack T(he Ripper) hunting me
down offline]

How callous of you.