SEO

I designed a business site for a friend. It ranks six on Yahoo, but the
equivalent search term on Google doesn't turn up anything directly on the
first ten pages. (It does turn up in a Yellow Pages on the first page).

I know that SEO is an industry in itself. However, I understand the various
search engines keep their respective algorithms a closely guarded secret.

I haven't found any outstanding refs that say anything significant on the
issue. Anybody here have refs -- web or in book format -- they can
recommend?

S.T.

M said:
I designed a business site for a friend. It ranks six on Yahoo, but the
equivalent search term on Google doesn't turn up anything directly on the
first ten pages. (It does turn up in a Yellow Pages on the first page).

I know that SEO is an industry in itself. However, I understand the
various search engines keep their respective algorithms a closely guarded
secret.

I haven't found any outstanding refs that say anything significant on the
issue. Anybody here have refs -- web or in book format -- they can
recommend?

This will pretty much take you to 70% understanding, or the typical
knowledge of most "SEO Consultants"
http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors

Start with that, try it out, and see where it gets you.

If you want more detail, and take you up to 80%-85%, shell out $100 for a
subscription to:
http://www.searchenginehelp.com/
... and read, read, read. (not affiliated with site, just a fan)

The last 15%-20% is gonna require either a) hiring of a truly good SEO
consultant (rare and those who exist are extremely pricy) or a) a LOT of
research on the topic. For some *highly* competitive categories it may be
your only option for volumes of organic search traffic however.