Setting height of panel

Roland Dick

Hello,

I have a problem here with an ASP.NET website.
The pages are supposed to use a single master page which just contains
some images and a menu control on the top, below that is the content
placeholder.

What I would like to achieve is to always see the master page elements
(the images and the menu control). In other words, the content
placeholder should display a scrollbar, not the whole page.

I tried using a panel around the placeholder, and this works as long as
I set the height to an absolute value, e.g. 700px. However, changing
this value to 100% causes the scrollbar to be displayed for the whole
page again and my menu scrolls off the page again.

Does anybody know how to set the height of the panel to 100% minus the
height of my always-visible controls from the master page?

Thanks for your hints,

Roland

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You can do it, but it is a royal pain. You can measure height of the
controls in question. That gives you a starting point. You can then measure
the users resolution (which may require a postback). But, this is only
partially useful, esp. in the age of toolbars.

One option is to place the scrolling portion in a table cell that is not set
to 100% and add the content, but this can be painful, as well, as it can
still stretch off the screen.

While this may not seem like good advice, the people in the FrontPage and
Expressions groups deal with a lot of design questions. Other than the
master page (also available in expression), the problem is an HTML problem,
so they might be able to help.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA