Should I use web controls or the old ASP way?

jm

I am behind. I am coming from the world of ASP and still debating if
I really want to convert all those ASP ADO pages to ASP .NET when they
work perfectly fine on my Windows 2003 server as .asp files. I have
experiemented and gotten working one of my ADO pages as an ASP .NET
ADO page, if that is the right way to say it. I used web controls. I
also built a version which very much looked like the old ASP way where
the html was in the response.write() and rendered on the page as
opposed to the way the web control does it.

I hope this makes sense. Let me show you:

I found I could use ASP .NET this way with ADO:

dim OdbcCommand as new OdbcCommand(sqlString, dbconn)
dbconn.open()
dbrecs = OdbcCommand.ExecuteReader()

'without web control
While dbrecs.Read()
Response.Write ("<table border=1><td>" & dbrecs("name") + ", "
+ dbrecs.GetString(1) & "</td></table>")
End While

But this seemed backward to me and of no benefit to me as ASP already
does this. My question is should I use web controls? Are they any
faster? And that last question is really key. I know I can learn to
use .NET because that is the Microsoft standard, but I need to know if
there is a speed benefit to it. Supposedly from the Why .NET?
Microsoft websites .aspx pages are three times faster than good old
..asp pages. Is this true? Is this based upon a total reliance on web
controls (datagrid and the other database controls)?

Thank you for taking time to read this and responding.