Site dropped out of Google index

chlori

Hello

I hope this isn't too off topic...

A site I made could easily be found with Google on
Tuesday. Top ten, depending on the used key phrases.

Wednesday morning the site couldn't be found at all and
then in the evening it was easily found again. Since
Thursday I can't find it at all anymore.

I hardly changed anything on the site, so I can't
imagine what went wrong...

Can anyone help me here? How can I get back to Google?

TIA
chlori

PeterMcC

chlori wrote in
Hello

I hope this isn't too off topic...

A site I made could easily be found with Google on
Tuesday. Top ten, depending on the used key phrases.

Wednesday morning the site couldn't be found at all and
then in the evening it was easily found again. Since
Thursday I can't find it at all anymore.

I hardly changed anything on the site, so I can't
imagine what went wrong...

Can anyone help me here? How can I get back to Google?

Have you recently put this site up?

If so, you're at the stage where Google has identified the site but doesn't
yet have a cached version of the page, nor does the page have any PR. If
that is the case, the answer is to have patience. Having said that, the site
isn't well optimised and I'd be surprised, once Google's had a good look, if
you get top ten placings - though I don't know which keywords you're
targeting.

I'd suggest using the time to optimise the site whilst you wait for Google -
more use of your target search terms in the text, use <h1> and <h2> headings
that contain your search terms, use your search terms in the link text on
your nav bar, use the search terms in the page title, image titles are
sometimes useful but the text is not indexed by Google and can be removed,
get in-bound links, add more copy...

Have a look at:
http://www.spider-food.net/
http://searchenginewatch.com/
http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/

chlori

PeterMcC schrieb am 04.06.2004 17:49:
Have you recently put this site up?

Yes, some weeks or months ago.
If so, you're at the stage where Google has identified the site but doesn't
yet have a cached version of the page, nor does the page have any PR. If
that is the case, the answer is to have patience.

Ok, thanks. I'll wait... Didn't know about the cache.
[...] I'd be surprised, once Google's had a good look, if
you get top ten placings

Well for a short list of very relevant keywords the
page was top 1.
- though I don't know which keywords you're
targeting.

e.g. Regeltechnik, RF-Identifikation, Automation,
Blanke, Steuern
[...] use <h1> and <h2> headings that contain your search terms,

Maybe I don't understand you right, but that's IMO
exactly what I did:

Look at e.g. http://blanke.ch/auto.php:
- <h1>Blanke</h1>
- <h2>Steuer - Mess - Regeltechnik</h2>
- <h1>Automation</h1>
- said:
use your search terms in the link text

That's what I have (in the menu and on home page):
- Automation
- RF-Identifikation
use the search terms in the page title,

I have done exactly that
- <title>Blanke Automation</title>
- said:
image titles are sometimes useful but the text is
not indexed by Google and can be removed,

Ok, they're useless for Google, but why remove them?
get in-bound links

Got some good ones a few days ago.
add more copy...

Sorry, don't know what you mean with this?

So, if I understood you right, then I did exactly what
you said and what your links say. And that's the reason
why this site had such a high placing at google and
hopefully will again. I just hope it doesn't take too
long for google to come back for a look again...

But thanks for your reply. I didn't know about the
cache thing!

chlori

PeterMcC

chlori wrote in

- said:
image titles are sometimes useful but the text is
not indexed by Google and can be removed,

Ok, they're useless for Google, but why remove them?
get in-bound links

Got some good ones a few days ago.
add more copy...

Sorry, don't know what you mean with this?

So, if I understood you right, then I did exactly what
you said and what your links say. And that's the reason
why this site had such a high placing at google and
hopefully will again. I just hope it doesn't take too
long for google to come back for a look again...

But thanks for your reply. I didn't know about the
cache thing!

It often seems to go something like this - site gets initial visit by
Google, site appears in index, site disapPears from index, site gets cached
but not fully indexed and reappears in index without PR, site gets fully
spidered, site gets PR, site gets to number 1, you become wealthy and retire
to a life of luxury. (I may have made up the last few)

Perhaps you already know, if you install the Google toolbar you have links
to check Google's cache, your PR, Google's backlinks for your site...

BTW, the advice on keywords was generic, I didn't know what your search
terms were. You seem to have got the keywords in the crucial areas but my
big concern would be that the site needs more text ("copy" - idiomatic).
Google likes content-rich pages - lots of words, lots of appropriate use of
your target terms.

The suggestion about removing the title attribute was to reduce the
"noise" - stuff that Google has to sift through but which adds nothing to
its indexing of the page - it's also a bonus that you get when using css as
you have, less noise in the html source.

Best of luck.

chlori

PeterMcC schrieb am 04.06.2004 19:48:
my big concern would be that the site needs more text ("copy" - idiomatic).

Ok, my client will be writing.
Google likes content-rich pages - lots of words,

I read once that search engines only look at the first
x kilobytes of a code. Is that not true?
The suggestion about removing the title attribute was to reduce the
"noise" - stuff that Google has to sift through but which adds nothing to
its indexing of the page - it's also a bonus that you get when using css as
you have, less noise in the html source.

So you're saying that if I have one page with *a lot*
of HTML (e.g. tables for layout) and another page with
less code (CSS layout) but identical content, Google
makes a difference and prefers the CSS version?

Do you have an URL "proving" that? I had an argument
about that lately but had no written proof, only things
I've heard/read.

chlori

Big Bill

Hello

I hope this isn't too off topic...

A site I made could easily be found with Google on
Tuesday. Top ten, depending on the used key phrases.

Wednesday morning the site couldn't be found at all and
then in the evening it was easily found again. Since
Thursday I can't find it at all anymore.

I hardly changed anything on the site, so I can't
imagine what went wrong...

Can anyone help me here? How can I get back to Google?

TIA
chlori

Wait. It may be a few days, weeks, or a couple of months. This is
regular behaviour with Google.

BB

Big Bill

- said:
image titles are sometimes useful but the text is
not indexed by Google and can be removed,

Ok, they're useless for Google, but why remove them?
get in-bound links

Got some good ones a few days ago.
add more copy...

Sorry, don't know what you mean with this?

He means you need to schrieb a bit more. Engines like writings, they
want lots of word on the page containing lots of keywords.

So, if I understood you right, then I did exactly what
you said and what your links say. And that's the reason
why this site had such a high placing at google and
hopefully will again. I just hope it doesn't take too
long for google to come back for a look again...

It varies from site to site and no-one really knows why yet.

BB

Big Bill

PeterMcC schrieb am 04.06.2004 19:48:

Ok, my client will be writing.

I read once that search engines only look at the first
x kilobytes of a code. Is that not true?

So you're saying that if I have one page with *a lot*
of HTML (e.g. tables for layout) and another page with
less code (CSS layout) but identical content, Google
makes a difference and prefers the CSS version?

Do you have an URL "proving" that? I had an argument
about that lately but had no written proof, only things
I've heard/read.

chlori

You want more text, less code.

BB

Kris

So you're saying that if I have one page with *a lot*
of HTML (e.g. tables for layout) and another page with
less code (CSS layout) but identical content, Google
makes a difference and prefers the CSS version?

Do you have an URL "proving" that? I had an argument
about that lately but had no written proof, only things
I've heard/read.

chlori

You want more text, less code.[/QUOTE]

"Create a useful, information-rich site.."

More text..

"..and write pages that clearly and accurately describe your content."

Less, yet descriptive markup.

<http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html>