site shifts due to scroll bar

talkinggoat

I have a problem with a site that shifts from page to page. I want to
make sure the the previous page's tables align with the following,
however, one page is longer than the screen's resolution. This causes
the scroll bar to pop up and shifts the entire contents of the page to
the left. Is there any way to stop this from happening?

dorayme

talkinggoat said:
I have a problem with a site that shifts from page to page. I want to
make sure the the previous page's tables align with the following,
however, one page is longer than the screen's resolution. This causes
the scroll bar to pop up and shifts the entire contents of the page to
the left. Is there any way to stop this from happening?

Yes there is. Make all the pages at least as long as the very
longest page. You can do this without entering any visible
content. You can also "force" scrollbars onto the pages that do
not actually need them. Which do you fancy most?

But if you do, you will expose certain things about your wanting
this. Some people will rightly say you should stop wanting this,
others will say that if you provided a url, you might be doing
unwise things, which, if corrected, would make your problem go
away.

John L.

talkinggoat said:
I have a problem with a site that shifts from page to page. I want to
make sure the the previous page's tables align with the following,
however, one page is longer than the screen's resolution. This causes
the scroll bar to pop up and shifts the entire contents of the page to
the left. Is there any way to stop this from happening?

Maybe, but what you should do instead is realise that the beauty of a
web page lies in its ability to adapt to the multitude of factors you
can't possibly control on the web - including whether or not the browser
has a scrollbar. It does not lie in trying to force some kind of fixed
ideal onto all of your visitors.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:16:33 GMT
talkinggoat scribed:
I have a problem with a site that shifts from page to page. I want to
make sure the the previous page's tables align with the following,
however, one page is longer than the screen's resolution. This causes
the scroll bar to pop up and shifts the entire contents of the page to
the left. Is there any way to stop this from happening?

There's possibly a number of ways that is possible, but without explicit
info as provided by a url, it's impossible to list the possibilities.