Suggestions on adding site search to personal website

©

©®

I know you can use Google to add a "search my own site" to a website,
but was wondering, is there a free, ads-free way to add a search box to
a personal website?
What recommendations/suggestions?
Thanks
PS - Using a Linux based host

Adrienne Boswell

I know you can use Google to add a "search my own site" to a website,
but was wondering, is there a free, ads-free way to add a search box to
a personal website?
What recommendations/suggestions?
Thanks
PS - Using a Linux based host

It depends on what you want to search. If you can put stuff into a db,
then you can search that pretty easily. For example, the site I am
developing for my church has all the page content in a db, so the whole
site can be searched. They have Access and ASP available, so I am
developing in that, but MySQL and PHP would be just as easy.

©

©®

you want to search.

I just want to have people be able to search my website for any word or
phrase they are looking for. Nothing fancy at all! Just thought it would
be nice to not have to use a proprietary one.
Any ideas?

John Corliss

©® said:
I know you can use Google to add a "search my own site" to a website,
but was wondering, is there a free, ads-free way to add a search box to
a personal website?
What recommendations/suggestions?
Thanks
PS - Using a Linux based host

I'm sure somebody here might be helpful, but you will get a better
answer if you post to one of the following newsgroups:

alt.html
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
alt.www.webmaster

HTH and good luck.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc, for instance. No

Craig

©® said:
you want to search.

I just want to have people be able to search my website for any word or
phrase they are looking for. Nothing fancy at all! Just thought it would
be nice to not have to use a proprietary one.
Any ideas?
If your site is a small collection of pages...(~500Kb) you could use a
cgi script. The trick is finding a *free* one that can do recursive
searches. (Sorry, no definitive linkies).

If your site is bigger (or you don't want to mess w/cgi scripts) you can
invite Google into your home (http://www.google.com/searchcode.html).
Or, as I've mentioned before, Scroogle will give you scraped google
searches (http://www.scroogle.org/masters.html).

hth,
-Craig