The system cannot find the file specified

Guest

I am running a web server (IIS) on Windows 2003 SP 1. My ASP.NET C#
applications run fine. However, my application is a combination of Classic
ASP and C#. For some reason when you attempt to access the Classic ASP
components of the application you are presented with this useless error
message: "The system cannot find the file specified"

The ASP.NET applications are contained within one directory, for instance
e:\dasinstall\myapplication. The classic asp apps are in their own
individual directories: e:\dasinstall\myclassicaspapplication

Doing some research on my own, this error message typically has something to
do with permissions. So to eliminate that (at least on the OS/NTFS side) I
gave everyone full control of the entire drive (the e drive following the
example above, and this is something that of course I would not do in a
production environment). This obviously did not help.

Other Items to know:

1. I am not running FrontPage Server Extensions.
2. There is only one IP address assigned to the server.
3. The server can be accessed over the network via IP and Server Name. A
tracert produces the correct results when ran from the server or my laptop
which is on the same network. I connect to the network the same way the
server does: through a traditional lan connection (no wireless or dial up).

I am an Enterprise MSDN subscriber and look forward to some HELP!

Thanks again!

Guest

2 things possibly
1) I'm assuming you are using http pathing and not file system pathing to
get to these and that they are in a virtual dir in IIS.
2) are .ASP extensions turned on in IIS? By default 2003 turns em off unless
explicitley turned on.

Guest

Yes, I am using http pathing, and yes asp extensions are allowed. I actually
in an attempt to "trick" it to work disallowed and re-allowed.

Guest

1) Yes I am
2) asp extensions are allowed. I actually disallowed and then "re"-allowed
in an effort to trick IIS....

Guest

not sure there...
You may want to take this to the IIS groups though, they tend to specialize
in the config a bit more then we/I do. Since it's not really an ASP.Net issue
it would probably be better suited there.

Good luck... glad we at least got ya in the right direction.

--
Curt Christianson
site: http://www.darkfalz.com

Guest

Yup.. that's what I was getting at.
That tells me that it's nothign to do with .Net and all about the IIS setup.

Try using localhost instead of PC/Server name.
Try html file in that folder, see if that is accessible, that will indicate
if its a virtual dir setup issue, or one specific to .asp.

--
Curt Christianson
site: http://www.darkfalz.com

Guest

Now I am really concerned. I think the IIS meta db that contains the
configuration information is screwed up. I simply moved things around (back
and forth) within IIS and now my application works fine.

Is there a program that checks the internal IIS meta db for corruption?