This newsgroup is not a help desk

David Mark

Broad open-ended questions are not included.  Those typically lead to
consulting, which is a different service.  And you'd be surprised what
I can answer in a minute.  ;)

I read 'minute' as [mai-niut], not [mi-nit].

Which is how I originally intended it. I'm complex. :)
Both possibilities strike me as odd.

I suppose they would. Struggling beginners (of questionable mental
faculties in your case) are often unable to grasp the capabilities of
those with considerably more experience.

I'm reminded of one guy (who didn't know HTML from HVAC) telling me
not to "waste time trying" to make a simple form work in IE6. Clearly
he was projecting his own level of proficiency (which, as far as he
knew was fairly high). Intelligent people, who can put aside their
own egos, know how to use delegation to their benefit. ;)

David Mark

Yes, precisely. Sometimes helping others means giving them a kick in the
pants (it happened to me at least once when I was insistent on coding
something stupidly).

Some people learn and do better; some people chant dubious rhetoric to
ease the pain of endless futility. A currently popular number goes
something like: "Awww, UR just jealous coz I use jQuery and UR trying
to take their tools." Or something like that. :)

Garrett Smith

Do you think that you're adding to the discussion, or simply venting your
hostility?

comp.lang.javascript is an unmoderated newsgroup and so although anybody
can post anything, anyone else may comment if he feels that post is
off-topic or inappropriate.

Anyone who is pointing out that a post is off-topic is, as DM put it,
"not minding [his] own business." Those individuals are proactively
discouraging such discussions and probably for good reasons, such as to
encourage more productive discussions.

Kenneth Tilton

SteveYoungGoogle said:
I stopped posting to c.l.j because you invariably snipped my posts and
turned the thread into either rant against jQuery (which, by the way,
I have never used just as I have never used any other framework or
library) or into an advertisement for your latest fad/project. I could
give you many examples such as here
http://groups.google.com/group/comp...5cbd0436f202/c7466c3598b7ab41?q=mark&lnk=ol&#
where I begged you not to get involved and let others answer but to no
avail. So eventually I stopped posting, as I suspect have so many
others.

Why didn't you use a killfile entry? That's what I do since I know that
I lack the will power to ignore the ding dongs. Works well.

I agree, however, that this group is a wasteland compared to other
groups where one can usually get help in spite of the ever-present ding
dongs in any group, and that it may well be because of the pack of
hyenas led by Mr. Mark.

kt

Ry Nohryb

give you many examples such as herehttp://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thr...
where I begged you not to get involved and let others answer but to no
avail. So eventually I stopped posting, as I suspect have so many
others.

(...)

But I soon learned that you have a real anger directed at newcomers or
anyone who asks a question that you consider to be simple and rather
than let someone else answer you feel duty bound to insult the
questioner and his question. I’m afraid this is what has made
EMCAScript newcomers stay away in droves and without fresh blood
c.l.j. has become stale.

I couldn't agree any more.
In my opinion it’s mainly down to you

....and some others...

Alan Gutierrez

Kenneth said:
Why didn't you use a killfile entry? That's what I do since I know that
I lack the will power to ignore the ding dongs. Works well.

I agree, however, that this group is a wasteland compared to other
groups where one can usually get help in spite of the ever-present ding
dongs in any group, and that it may well be because of the pack of
hyenas led by Mr. Mark.

I'm new here and I'm already put off by the no libraries auto post. I
can see where it comes from.

David Mark

I stopped posting to c.l.j because you invariably snipped my posts and
turned the thread into either rant against jQuery (which, by the way,
I have never used just as I have never used any other framework or
library) or into an advertisement for your latest fad/project.

Not only is that a blatant fiction; but, of your four posts this year,
it appears three were direct responses to me. Odd for someone who
doesn't want to talk to me. :)
I could
give you many examples such as herehttp://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thr...
where I begged you not to get involved and let others answer but to no
avail.

I won't bother to read your regurgitation, but will go way out on a
limb and say you didn't know what was good for you.
So eventually I stopped posting, as I suspect have so many
others.

It's interesting that virtually all of your recent posts revolve
around me and your "suspicions" about me.
For your information I am not a EMCAScript developer,

That much is clear sir.
I am a Microwave
Radio Engineer and several years ago I decided I wanted to learn
EMCAScript in order to provide microwave link planning tools, for
free, on the Web.

I think you've been standing too close to your radios. :)
The Line of Sight tool is herehttp://members.chello.at/stephen.joung/indexDistanceElevation.htmland
the Link Planning tool is herehttp://members.chello.at/stephen.joung/indexMW_Distance20.html

How ironic. An advertisement for your latest product or "fad".
But I soon learned that you have a real anger directed at newcomers or
anyone who asks a question that you consider to be simple and rather
than let someone else answer you feel duty bound to insult the
questioner and his question.

No, that's simply a mirage.
I’m afraid this is what has made
EMCAScript newcomers stay away in droves and without fresh blood
c.l.j. has become stale.

Quite the contrary. I'm clearly the biggest draw here. ;)
In my opinion it’s mainly down to you and
this is why I sometimes cannot stop myself from knocking you off the
pedestal you have put yourself on.

You are like a feather trying to topple a mountain.

David Mark

Why didn't you use a killfile entry? That's what I do since I know that
I lack the will power to ignore the ding dongs. Works well.

You are clearly fibbing Kenny. You Spam this group with your algebra
tutorial disasters and when I note their general awfulness (despite my
numerous attempts to help you avoid such results), your replies come
fast and furious.

Or perhaps your killfile is on the fritz?

Kenneth Tilton

David said:
You are clearly fibbing Kenny. You Spam this group with your algebra
tutorial disasters...

You forgot, I was talking about this:

http://wiki.github.com/kennytilton/qooxlisp/

It was one of The Haters who jumped on an otherwise unhyped link in my
sig and did me the favor of giving me an excuse to spam this group about
the terrible act of helping kids learn Algebra.
...and when I note their general awfulness (despite my
numerous attempts to help you avoid such results), your replies come
fast and furious.

Or perhaps your killfile is on the fritz?

Or perhaps I did not put you in my killfile? You're OK, you have
redeeming social value. Your groupies failed that test.

kt

David Mark

You forgot, I was talking about this:

   http://wiki.github.com/kennytilton/qooxlisp/

How could I forget? You've been trumpeting that mess in here for
weeks.
It was one of The Haters who jumped on an otherwise unhyped link in my
sig and did me the favor of giving me an excuse to spam

Spam and ye shall receive. Just please refrain from whining about it
endlessly.
this group about
the terrible act of helping kids learn Algebra.

It's not that terrible.
Or perhaps I did not put you in my killfile?

See Kenny flop.
You're OK, you have
redeeming social value.

I'm not an art form, Kenny.
Your groupies failed that test.

Characterizing anyone in this group that agrees with my point of view
(or criticizes your demos) as a "groupie" or "Hater" has no redeeming
value. You come off as a vengeful simpleton.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <93a879bd-f6b5-42fe-a6a7-1ee2f87d4556@g1
g2000pre.googlegroups.com>, Thu, 22 Jul 2010 04:44:47, David Mark
"This newsgroup is not a help desk" is likely a familiar refrain for
anyone who has spent time in it. I enjoy advising people here when I
have the time, but like all who do similar, I cannot be expected to
solve (or even attempt to solve) every problem that floats in here.

Then you should ignore those articles. Others like being helpful, and
see no need to charge for that. Remember that you are fundamentally
unimportant in the overall scheme of things.

This is an international medium - even if you do not mention actual
costs, you should say what currencies can give prices in and will
accept.