TIOBE declares Python as programming language of 2007!

Berco Beute

Cool! We knew it would happen one day :)
What could be the reason? Python 3? Jython 2.2? Java's loss of
sexiness?

What I would like to know is what it was that boosted Python's
popularity in 2004 (see http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Python.html).
Equally interesting is the question why it dropped shortly after.

2B

Diez B. Roggisch

Berco said:
Cool! We knew it would happen one day :)
What could be the reason? Python 3? Jython 2.2? Java's loss of
sexiness?

I'd say Java was never sexy, but dressed up in expensive lingerie by
marketing maniacs...

Diez

Kay Schluehr

Cool! We knew it would happen one day :)
What could be the reason? Python 3? Jython 2.2? Java's loss of
sexiness?

Python eats Perls lunch as a scripting language.

George Sakkis

Python eats Perls lunch as a scripting language.

Even better, it is not threatened by Ruby as many from the buzzword-
ridden RoR crowd would like to believe.

ajaksu

Cool! We knew it would happen one day :)
What could be the reason? Python 3? Jython 2.2? Java's loss of
sexiness?

What I would like to know is what it was that boosted Python's
popularity in 2004 (seehttp://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Python.html).
Equally interesting is the question why it dropped shortly after.

2B

From http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index(and
http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/images/tpci_trends.png )

# Q: What happened to Java in April 2004? Did you change your
methodology?

A: No, we did not change our methodology at that time. Google changed
its methodology. They performed a general sweep action to get rid of
all kinds of web sites that had been pushed up. As a consequence,
there was a huge drop for languages such as Java and C++. In order to
minimize such fluctuations in the future, we added two more search
engines (MSN and Yahoo) a few months after this incident.