Trouble with activestate perl for windows

Caduceus

Hi:

Every time I try to use perl 5.8.8 I keep geting the error message
"Barewood found where operator expected at - line 1, near "/perl/bin"
<Missing operator before bin?>" What am I doing wrong here and how can
I fix it. I'm using activestate perl. The command I'm trying is
C:/Perl/bin/perl5.8.8.exe perl -v. Any help would be appreciated. TIA
Steve
email: (e-mail address removed)

Joe Smith

Caduceus said:
Every time I try to use perl 5.8.8 I keep geting the error message
"Barewood found where operator expected at - line 1, near "/perl/bin"

That's "bareword", not "barewood". If you want help from these
newsgroups, you need to copy-and-paste the exact message. Re-typing
it causes too many typos.
<Missing operator before bin?>" What am I doing wrong here and how can
I fix it. I'm using activestate perl. The command I'm trying is
C:/Perl/bin/perl5.8.8.exe perl -v. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

When running from the command line, commands look like this:

C:\Users\jms>perl -v
C:\Users\jms>perl test_program.pl arg1 arg2 arg3

-Joe

P.S. Do not post to this newsgroup; it is defunct. Use comp.lang.perl.misc instead.