Tunneling own XML content in XHMTL etc.

Florian Weimer

Is it posssible to embed one's own elements within an XHMTL document,
in such a way that the XHTML part and the foreign structure can be
validated separately?

I would like to have something like this:

<head>
<title>Title</title>
</head>
<fw:xlist name="foo"/>

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. And I can't find a suitable
loophole in the XHTML schema.

Eventually, I want to run a generator over the combined document and
lower it to XHTML, expanding things like table of contents,
references, etc.

It doesn't have to be XHTML per se, Docbook would probably work, too.

Would XHTML Modularization help with such a task?

Joe Kesselman

Is it posssible to embed one's own elements within an XHMTL document,
in such a way that the XHTML part and the foreign structure can be
validated separately?

Would XHTML Modularization help with such a task?

That's very much what the modularization was intended to do.

"Modularization also allows for the extension of XHTML's layout and
presentation capabilities, using the extensibility of XML, without
breaking the XHTML standard. This development path provides a stable,
useful, and implementable framework for content developers and
publishers to manage the rapid pace of technological change on the Web."

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization

--
Joe Kesselman,

Manuel Collado

El 25/01/2011 7:43, Florian Weimer escribió:
* William F. Hammond:

It doesn't validate.

I'm surprised that CSS isn't really namespace-aware (in the Firefox
implementation at least).

But it is! Only you have to serve the page as XHTML instead of HTML, and
declare the namespace in the CSS:

--------------
<head>
<title>Title</title>
@namespace gen "http://www.enyo.de/xml/html-gen";
gen|xlist:before {
content: "This is foo"
}
</head>
<xlist name="foo"/>

Florian Weimer

* Joe Kesselman:
That's very much what the modularization was intended to do.

"Modularization also allows for the extension of XHTML's layout and
presentation capabilities, using the extensibility of XML, without
breaking the XHTML standard. This development path provides a stable,
useful, and implementable framework for content developers and
publishers to manage the rapid pace of technological change on the
Web."

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization

Okay, I will have a look at that.

It seems that there is also a standard which attempts to streamline
tasks like this---NVDL. Has anyone used it? What is tool support like
(in Java and libxml2)?