'u' Obselete type – it is identical to 'd'. (7)

John Machin

I did not know where to report that:

'u'     Obselete type – it is identical to 'd'.       (7)

http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#string-formatting

So what's your problem with that? Do you believe that 'u' is not
accepted? That 'u' is not identical to 'd' and thus the doc should be
rewritten as "its behaviour is identical to that of 'd'"? That the
behaviour of 'u' is NOT identical to that of 'd'? That 'u' should not
be documented? That 'u' should not be described as obselete?

Steve Holden

John said:
Those incidents are mundane and ordinary IMHO compared with
misspelling both "misspelled" and "misspelling" in the bug report.
I thought that was Ben's point.

regards
Steve

Steven D'Aprano

Oh come on, it's hardly the Own Goal of the Year if it's in the (quote)
"100 Most Often Misspelled Words in English". A notable own goal would be
if I misspelled my own name or something. What I did was a run-of-the-
mill ordinary own goal, hardly worth even noting.

Besides, it's just the Time Machine in action. Come back in 10 years, and
I bet "mispelled" will be accepted as a legitimate variant, just like
inflammable/flammable, and in another 20 years, it will be the preferred
spelling. The process is well on the way according to Google:

Results 1 - 10 of about 4,850,000 for mispelled
Results 1 - 10 of about 4,560,000 for misspelled

Typo'ly y'rs - Stveen

*wink*

mathieu

So what's your problem with that? Do you believe that 'u' is not
accepted? That 'u' is not identical to 'd' and thus the doc should be
rewritten as "its behaviour is identical to that of 'd'"? That the
behaviour of 'u' is NOT identical to that of 'd'? That 'u' should not
be documented? That 'u' should not be described as obselete?
^^^^^^^^

lol :)