Urgent!! <Map> tag with latitude longitude coordinates

helpneeded

Hi
I am a novice using the <map> tag. I have a question. I would really
appreciate if you could answer me.
I want to use the <map> tag to dynamically update my map with
coordinates. These coordinates are in the form of geographic
coordinates (latitude, longitude). Can this be achieved ? How ? Please
help.

Regards

Jukka K. Korpela

helpneeded said:
I want to use the <map> tag to dynamically update my map with
coordinates.

Tags don't do things. Tags are data.

Try explaining what you are really trying to accomplish, and illustrate it
with the URL of a sketch page.

The answer is most probably outside the scope of HTML, since HTML has
effectively no dynamics and it surely cannot change a map (an image), but
I'd like to see the real question before saying anything more specific.

Harlan Messinger

helpneeded said:
Hi
I am a novice using the <map> tag. I have a question. I would really
appreciate if you could answer me.
I want to use the <map> tag to dynamically update my map with
coordinates. These coordinates are in the form of geographic
coordinates (latitude, longitude). Can this be achieved ? How ? Please
help.

It's not clear from "dynamically update my map with coordinates" what
you are trying to do or where the coordinates are coming from.

Help needed

I want to have a <map> display an image of a country, say USA. This map
will show the location of the most recent earthquakes. I have a live
earthquake monitoring station that spits out the lat, long coordinates
the moment an earthquake occurs. I want to update the map with the new
location. Can this be done?

rwap

Yes you can do this, but you need to use a programming language which
would convert the latitude and longitude co-ordinates into pixel
co-ordinates (which would marry up with your map of the USA). The
co-ordinates would need to be stored in a database (in either format)
and then when the page is requested, the database interrogated and
details incorporated in the served page.

You could write this in various languages, but probably perl or php are
the easiest - it all depends on your experience.

If you search on google, you can probably find a routine for converting
latitude and longitude to pixel co-ordinates in whatever programming
language you wish to use.

If you cannot handle programming yourself, you would need to pay
someone to do this, as it is not as straightforward as I think you were
hoping.

Rich Mellor
www.internetbusinessangels.com