Using SQL Server on web host for membership database

jeffreywgraham

A word of warning, I am new to .NET and fairly new to SQL Server.

The problem I have must be a common one, but I am uable to make it
work. I have a .NET project and have the user management and roles
working fine via Visual Studio and the default
"ASPNewSQlMembershipProvider." There is database file called "ASPNETDB
..MDF", and users are easily created and logged in. I can access the
tables fine. Now I just need to upload the application to a web host.
With the host we have a SQL Server 2000 database. They created the
database for us, we don't have admin control to the whole SQL Server
(as is true with most web hosts). The book I have and all the resources
I have found simply say to run the SQL Server Setup Wizard from the
command prompt with "aspnet_reqsql.exe". But here are my problems:

When run the wizard I cannot get past the database selection screen
(3rd screen). The error I get says "Failed to query a list of database
names from the SQL Server. Invalid object name 'sysdatabases' ". I am
100% sure that the server and login information is correct, I am using
it other places and it works fine. I called the web host and they were
no help.

My .NET book also says that, instead of the wizard, I can run the SQL
script called "InstallMembership.sql" that is in this folder:
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727". I am not sure how to
do this.

Can anyone shed some light on this? The only advice I could find was to
run the wizard, which seemed to work for most people. I don't really
care whether the application uses SQL Server or the default setup, I
just need it to work online.

Thanks in advance.

Vadivel Kumar

It is pretty simple. Let me put up in stepwise,

1. Login to your database control panel (in most cases webhosting
companies provide web-based control panel for manipulating with the
database, for example in godaddy.com case the url for the db control
panel will look like mssqladmin.yoursitename.com)

2. Open the InstallMembership.sql in notepad and select all text, Copy
and paste in the control panel which has a kind of query analyzer interface.

3. Then just execute it.

Now if you check the list of tables you can see table's name starts with
aspnet_*.

Let me know in case of any trouble.

-
Vadivel Kumar
http://vadivelk.net

jeffreywgraham

Thanks for your help. The web host doensn't seem to have an admin
panel. Is there a way to execute these scripts through Visual Studio,
Access, or another program?

Vadivel Kumar

No way to do that from your local machine. There should be a control
panel provided by the hosting company for dealing with the database.

You should talk with about this.