Verifying info on the client's computer

HD

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way of verifying information that is in the
registry of the user's computer??? Or is there a way of checking if a file
is on the c:\ of the user's computer??
I want to make a certain verification of who is entering my website... but
the IP address is never the same (since it is randomly given to the user)
and I can't use the LOGON_USER variable because the users are not all in the
same domain. And cookies are too easily destroyed with the IE options.

Thanks,

HDumas

Evertjan.

HD wrote on 02 mei 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
I was wondering if there is a way of verifying information that is in
the registry of the user's computer??? Or is there a way of checking
if a file is on the c:\ of the user's computer??
I want to make a certain verification of who is entering my website...
but the IP address is never the same (since it is randomly given to
the user) and I can't use the LOGON_USER variable because the users
are not all in the same domain. And cookies are too easily destroyed
with the IE options.

No. Not with ASP.

And a good thing that is.

Mark Schupp

That would be a MAJOR security issue. You would need a signed ActiveX or
Java component that the use would have to accept. You might be able to use
the File System Object from VBScript if all users are using IE but they
would have to add your site to the "trusted sites" list. Ask on a
client-side group for this.

Can you require that all users log onto your site? Then it wouldn't matter
what computer they were using. If you tie the authentication to the computer
then anyone with access to the computer could get into your site.

Or (again if all users are on IE). Create a simple client-side component
that the users can download and install from a site where they do have to
provide authentication information. Embed the component in a page and have
it contact your site in the background using xmlhttprequest. Return an
access code or set an application variable and then have the component
redirect to your start page.

Patrice

You can't without being allowed for safety reasons...

The usual scheme is to use a user name and password ? What is the exact
problem ? Is this to authorize the user of do you have some problem to keep
the user identity during the session...

Patrice

Jeff Cochran

I was wondering if there is a way of verifying information that is in the
registry of the user's computer??? Or is there a way of checking if a file
is on the c:\ of the user's computer??
I want to make a certain verification of who is entering my website... but
the IP address is never the same (since it is randomly given to the user)
and I can't use the LOGON_USER variable because the users are not all in the
same domain. And cookies are too easily destroyed with the IE options.

Sounds like what you need to look at is authentication, not pulling
data from a client's system.

Jeff