    same domain. And cookies are too easily destroyed with the IE options.

    Thanks,

    HDumas

    HD, May 2, 2005

  2. HD

    Evertjan. Guest

    HD wrote on 02 mei 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    No. Not with ASP.

    And a good thing that is.

    Evertjan., May 2, 2005

  3. HD

    Mark Schupp Guest

    That would be a MAJOR security issue. You would need a signed ActiveX or
    Java component that the use would have to accept. You might be able to use
    the File System Object from VBScript if all users are using IE but they
    would have to add your site to the "trusted sites" list. Ask on a
    client-side group for this.

    Can you require that all users log onto your site? Then it wouldn't matter
    what computer they were using. If you tie the authentication to the computer
    then anyone with access to the computer could get into your site.

    Or (again if all users are on IE). Create a simple client-side component
    that the users can download and install from a site where they do have to
    provide authentication information. Embed the component in a page and have
    it contact your site in the background using xmlhttprequest. Return an
    access code or set an application variable and then have the component
    redirect to your start page.

    Mark Schupp, May 2, 2005
  4. HD

    Patrice Guest

    You can't without being allowed for safety reasons...

    The usual scheme is to use a user name and password ? What is the exact
    problem ? Is this to authorize the user of do you have some problem to keep
    the user identity during the session...

    Patrice

    Patrice, May 2, 2005
  5. HD

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    Sounds like what you need to look at is authentication, not pulling
    data from a client's system.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, May 2, 2005