Verilog guy has to learn VHDL, Books?

max w.

I am starting a new job that uses VHDL, unfortunately all my
previous HDL experience is with Verilog. I would like to hear
from anyone that has a text to recommend or has opinions
on the following:

VHDL for Logic Synthesis - Rushton.

HDL Programming Fundamentals Verliog and VHDL - Botros
I thought this one may be good because it claims to show
examples in one language then the other.

Any other suggestions to help my predicament would be
appreciated.
max

weber

I am starting a new job that uses VHDL, unfortunately all my
previous HDL experience is with Verilog. I would like to hear
from anyone that has a text to recommend or has opinions
on the following:

VHDL for Logic Synthesis - Rushton.

HDL Programming Fundamentals Verliog and VHDL - Botros
I thought this one may be good because it claims to show
examples in one language then the other.

Any other suggestions to help my predicament would be
appreciated.
max

Xilinx App Notes (example: http://direct.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp215.pdf)
that have code generally have both Verilog and Vhdl versions.
Cheers,
weber

Dave Pollum

I am starting a new job that uses VHDL, unfortunately all my
previous HDL experience is with Verilog. I would like to hear
from anyone that has a text to recommend or has opinions
on the following:

VHDL for Logic Synthesis - Rushton.

HDL Programming Fundamentals Verliog and VHDL - Botros
I thought this one may be good because it claims to show
examples in one language then the other.

Any other suggestions to help my predicament would be
appreciated.
max

"HDL Chip Design" by Douglas J. Smith (ISBN 0-9651934-3-8) covers both
Verilog and VHDL side-by-side. There is lots of example code, with
VHDL code on the left side of the page and Verilog code on the right
side of the page. The book explains the basics of Verilog and of
VHDL, and describes the similarities and differences of both HDLs.
It's a cool book.
HTH
-Dave Pollum

HT-Lab

max w. said:
I am starting a new job that uses VHDL, unfortunately all my
previous HDL experience is with Verilog. I would like to hear
from anyone that has a text to recommend or has opinions
on the following:

I would recommend the style guide of your synthesis tool, they normally have
examples in both languages so you can clearly see the differences in code
constructs.

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

David Bishop

Dave said:
"HDL Chip Design" by Douglas J. Smith (ISBN 0-9651934-3-8) covers both
Verilog and VHDL side-by-side. There is lots of example code, with
VHDL code on the left side of the page and Verilog code on the right
side of the page. The book explains the basics of Verilog and of
VHDL, and describes the similarities and differences of both HDLs.
It's a cool book.
HTH

I agree, problem is that it's out of print.

Shannon

I agree, problem is that it's out of print.

My library:

RTL Hardware Design Using VHDL: Coding for Efficiency, Portability,
and Scalability by Pong P. Chu.

The Designer's Guide to VHDL, Second Edition By: Peter J. Ashenden

VHDL for Logic Synthesis By: Andrew Rushton

Circuit Design with VHDL By: Volnei A. Pedroni

A VHDL Synthesis Primer, Second Edition By: Jayaram Bhasker