vs2008 deploy to localhost

Guest

hey all,
i created a basic web app in vs2008 and deployed it to my localhost. when i
tried to browse the site, i get the iis message "page cannot be displayed."

any iideas?
thanks,
rodchar

Guest

hey all,
i created a basic web app in vs2008 and deployed it to my localhost. when i
tried to browse the site, i get the iis message "page cannot be displayed."

any iideas?
thanks,
rodchar

try to disable IE friendly error messages (Tools - Internet Options -
Advanced...)

Brian Williams

Try browsing to an HTML page not ASPX page if that works then you need to
configure ASP.Net on IIS.
Also check the ASP.Net version, wouldn't hurt to run
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
You can also check the weblog to see if the page is actualy being hit, can
usualy be found at C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC1.

Regards,
Brian K. Williams

LVP

Have you tried to make sure that you web app is an application.
right click on the test2
Under Application Settings
next to Application name hit Remove then Create.

Juan T. Llibre

That's a client issue.

He needs to reconfigure IE to enable enhanced security configuration.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> HTTP 404 is a very common problem with IIS 6, because ASP.NET is disabled by default.

Check the screen previous to the 404...

That's a client issue.

He needs to reconfigure IE to enable enhanced security configuration.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/

HTTP 404 is a very common problem with IIS 6, because ASP.NET is
disabled by default.

Guest

re:
!> HTTP 404 is a very common problem with IIS 6, because ASP.NET is disabled by default.

Check the screen previous to the 404...

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/

HTTP 404 is a very common problem with IIS 6, because ASP.NET is
disabled by default.- Hide quoted text -

Hi Juan,

I made a test on my Win2003 server. I created a test website with
default.aspx in the root directory. First, I enabled Internet Explorer
Enhanced Security Configuration (IE ESC) by adding this component in
Add or Remove Programs. When starting Internet Explorer, I now had a
page from res://shdoclc.dll/hardAdmin.htm that is about "Internet
Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is enabled". Then I disabled
IE ESC and on starting Internet Explorer, I got the page from
res://shdoclc.dll/softAdmin.htm (as per screen) telling me that
"Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is not enabled".
Now, when I typing http://localhost I see the test page.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Then I disabled IE ESC and on starting Internet Explorer, I got the page
!> from res://shdoclc.dll/softAdmin.htm (as per screen) telling me that
!> "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is not enabled".
!> Now, when I typing http://localhost I see the test page.

You could, also, have left it enabled, and configured localhost as a Trusted site.

[...]

thanks everyone for a plethora of replies. this is always helpful. it turned
out to be that ASP.NET was not enabled on the server. i had to go to
Add/Remove Programs and enable it from there.

thanks again to everyone. wow!!

Juan T. Llibre

That's fine, but what you did was *install* it
from Add/Remove Programs, not "enable" it.

In W2K3, for example, you have to enable it *after* you install it.