VS2008 need VS2005 System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll v3.1

kcprogrammer

I recently switched to Vista Ultimate 64 bit from XP. I only
installed Visual Studio 2008 (and don't want to install VS2005) but I
need the System.data.sqlserverce.dll version 3.1 in order to access a
sqlce database. I can't convert this database as it's being used by
another application. It's actually an ESRI ArcPad v7.1 SQLCE database
file which is being used by ArcPad. I need to access it for an addon
I'm creating, so converting/upgrading the database is not an option.
Sadly the vs 2008 v3.5 System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll can't read the
database saying I need to upgrade it.
What do I need to install in order to get System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll
version 3.1? or is it as simple as someone just giving me that file or
if I have to I can install vs2005 on another machine or a virtual one
if all I need to do is grab that dll?
It seems like to me you need an option (maybe it exists and I just
need to be directed to it) for vs2008 users to access/reference the
3.1 version since 3.5 will not access older databases and upgrading
the db isn't always an option. I'm hoping you have an install for
this?
FYI I downloaded en_sql_server_2005_compact_edition.msi in hopes it
would install the needed dll, but when I go to run it, it shows the
options to either repair or uninstall which I don't think I want to do
either..

Christopher Fairbairn

Hi,

I recently switched to Vista Ultimate 64 bit from XP. I only
installed Visual Studio 2008 (and don't want to install VS2005) but I
need the System.data.sqlserverce.dll version 3.1 in order to access a
sqlce database. I can't convert this database as it's being used by
another application.

I haven't tried but you might find that the "Microsoft SQL Server 2005
Compact Edition Developer SDK"
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8D-363D-49F3-AE89-64E1D149E09B&displaylang=en)
contains something useful.

I would try installing the MSI within the %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL
Server Compact Edition\v3.1\SDK\bin\desktop folder after the SDK has been
installed.

This should give you a version of the System.data.sqlserverce.dll assembly
that you reference within Visual Studio 2008.

Just be aware that once you do find the correct version of the assembly you
still won't be able to use the graphical database tools within VS2008. You
will have to do all your data access work via code, since the graphical
tools within VS2008 only support the newer v3.5 database format and will
request you upgrade the format when attempting to access older databases.

Hope this helps,
Christopher Fairbairn