VS2008 need VS2005 System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll v3.1

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by kcprogrammer, Feb 24, 2008.

  1. kcprogrammer

    kcprogrammer Guest

    I recently switched to Vista Ultimate 64 bit from XP. I only
    installed Visual Studio 2008 (and don't want to install VS2005) but I
    need the System.data.sqlserverce.dll version 3.1 in order to access a
    sqlce database. I can't convert this database as it's being used by
    another application. It's actually an ESRI ArcPad v7.1 SQLCE database
    file which is being used by ArcPad. I need to access it for an addon
    I'm creating, so converting/upgrading the database is not an option.
    Sadly the vs 2008 v3.5 System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll can't read the
    database saying I need to upgrade it.
    What do I need to install in order to get System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll
    version 3.1? or is it as simple as someone just giving me that file or
    if I have to I can install vs2005 on another machine or a virtual one
    if all I need to do is grab that dll?
    It seems like to me you need an option (maybe it exists and I just
    need to be directed to it) for vs2008 users to access/reference the
    3.1 version since 3.5 will not access older databases and upgrading
    the db isn't always an option. I'm hoping you have an install for
    this?
    FYI I downloaded en_sql_server_2005_compact_edition.msi in hopes it
    would install the needed dll, but when I go to run it, it shows the
    options to either repair or uninstall which I don't think I want to do
    either..

    kcprogrammer, Feb 24, 2008

  2. Hi,

    I haven't tried but you might find that the "Microsoft SQL Server 2005
    Compact Edition Developer SDK"
    (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8D-363D-49F3-AE89-64E1D149E09B&displaylang=en)
    contains something useful.

    I would try installing the MSI within the %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL
    Server Compact Edition\v3.1\SDK\bin\desktop folder after the SDK has been
    installed.

    This should give you a version of the System.data.sqlserverce.dll assembly
    that you reference within Visual Studio 2008.

    Just be aware that once you do find the correct version of the assembly you
    still won't be able to use the graphical database tools within VS2008. You
    will have to do all your data access work via code, since the graphical
    tools within VS2008 only support the newer v3.5 database format and will
    request you upgrade the format when attempting to access older databases.

    Hope this helps,
    Christopher Fairbairn

    Christopher Fairbairn, Feb 24, 2008