vs2008 problems

GaryDean

We are having a lot of problems with visual studio 2008. It clobbers aspx
pages randomly. For instance we had a three step wizard and it rearranged
much of the html source and completely mangled the page. This has happened
several times.

Is anyone else having these kinds of problems?
Thanks,
Gary

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Gary,

As for the VS 2008 html designer, it has been redesigned from the original
VS 2003 and VS 2005 one, so far I haven't found any documented or know
issue about the html IDE. For the reformatting problem you encounter, is it
occuring on a particular page only? Sometimes, for a large html page ,if it
contains some invalid html tag(such as unclosed tags), the IDE's validator
will report error and always try to correct it, this may cause the html
source be reformated constantly.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello GaryDean,

Try to install the VS 2008 hotfix. it was shipped february 2008
google to find the links

---
WBR,

G> We are having a lot of problems with visual studio 2008. It clobbers
G> aspx pages randomly. For instance we had a three step wizard and it
G> rearranged much of the html source and completely mangled the page.
G> This has happened several times.
G>
G> Is anyone else having these kinds of problems?
G> Thanks,
G> Gary

GaryDean

That appears to help as it is not completely clobbering the page. It still
puts in about 500 blank lines in between the html lines but does not corrupt
their function.
Thanks,
Gary

GaryDean

Steven:
Ok, we did some testing and found the following problems consistently with
vs2008...

If you make a table with nicely indented
and then you size that table in design view, vs2008 takes the entire table,
converts all entries to upper case adds <BODY> tags, and puts everything on
one line that can be a thousand or so characters long making the table
unmanageable in source view. The table still works however. All the
uppercase tags flag as errors although the table still runs. VS2005 does
not do this.

We had a page with an error on it that had been tollerated in vs2005, two
controls had the same ID. When loaded into vs2005 one of the tags was
automatically changed to a unique ID and then the error occurred at run time
because a validator was referencing it. It was a 3rd party essential
objects control but I dont know if that had anything to do with it.. When
this same page was loaded into vs2008 nothing happpened until we went to
design view and then back to source view. VS2008 completely mangled the
page. It moved controls around in an apparently random fashion, and added a
thousand or so blank lines to the html. Completely destroyed the page.

We are running this on Vista Ultimate 64bit. Could this have anything to do
with this? Is there a 64 bit version of vs2008? (the download says "64bit
WoW but my MSDN dvd does not say that).

So we are going to leave vs2008 alone for a year or so because we cant
tollerate this behavior. Is there a nice clean list of exactly what has to
be installed with vs2005 to use all of the 3.5 features?
Regards,
Gary

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Gary,

From your further descrption, I think the problem does be somewhat related
to the page's html and source combination. For the html table UPPERCASE
formatting, I've tested via creating a new page in VS2008 and that doesn't
repro the same behavior which indicate the problem be hard to exactly repro
with different project or page set.

VS 64 bit won't matter much here since VS 2008 itself doesn't provide
different versions for 64 bit, it is the .net framework version it will
choose(32 bit or 64 bit) depened on the target platform version.

As you said that you want to hold on VS 2008 and keep using VS 2005, here
are my opinions:

** you can have both vs 2005 and vs 2008 installed side by side on the same
machine if you need both of them

** so far for .NET 3.5, only VS 2008 offically support developing on it, VS
2005 can only handle .NET 2.0 and 3.0(only via extension)