What do you think of this website?

Travis Newbury

Andy said:
The site should be using small chunks of ugly Flash instead.

They are using flash for all the wrong reasons. (Which is typical for
most flash sites)

Tony Cooper

They are using flash for all the wrong reasons. (Which is typical for
most flash sites)

alt.html is not a Help forum or a tutorial site. No one is required
or expected to offer any specific kind of advice.

However, rather than say "It's a shitty site", it is more helpful to
say "If you insist on using Flash, here's how you can use it to your
advantage:...."

It is the OP's fault here since all he asked for is a critique. He
didn't ask for suggestions. He got his critique, but he's no better
off since he doesn't seem to have a clue about improving the site and
no one has offered a clue.

Travis Newbury

Tony said:
alt.html is not a Help forum or a tutorial site. No one is required
or expected to offer any specific kind of advice.
However, rather than say "It's a shitty site", it is more helpful to
say "If you insist on using Flash, here's how you can use it to your
advantage:...."

Or the OP can just as easily google for the thousand times this topic
has been discussed in the last year.
It is the OP's fault here since all he asked for is a critique. He
didn't ask for suggestions. He got his critique, but he's no better
off since he doesn't seem to have a clue about improving the site and
no one has offered a clue.

So offer him sugestions rather than wasting bandwith complaining about
why no one else is...

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed:
Or the OP can just as easily google for the thousand times this topic
has been discussed in the last year.

So offer him sugestions rather than wasting bandwith complaining about
why no one else is...

I suggest we stop wasting bandwidth by complaining about someone who's
complaining about people who don't offer suggestions. Or...we can be
more patient and then complain about the forthcoming suggestions. :)

Tony Cooper

So offer him sugestions rather than wasting bandwith complaining about
why no one else is...

Where does wasted bandwidth go? Can it be recycled?

Thank you, though, for reply to my message wasting bandwidth with your
message wasting additional bandwidth by complaining about wasted
bandwidth. It's reassuring to know that there's someone else out
there who is as casual about bandwidth conservation as I am.

Chris Beall

James said:
Curious as to any opinions regarding the construction/design of this
website. Be brutally honest.

http://www.krystalmariecountrymusic.com/
James,

On my system, it loaded about 1% per second of the initial images, hence
100 seconds before I saw anything other than the jumping progress bar.

Then it started loading the music. I heard about 1/4 second snippet of
sound about every 5 seconds, which got old pretty fast.

Oh, and before I shut it down, I noticed that the images in the upper
right corner all seem to be stretched horizontally, making people look
very short and squat.

Chris Beall

Mark Parnell

Oh, and before I shut it down, I noticed that the images in the upper
right corner all seem to be stretched horizontally, making people look
very short and squat.

Maybe they *are* all short and squat. :)

dorayme

From: "Andy Dingley said:
The large ugly Flash is badly implemented monolithic large ugly Flash
that needs massive bandwidth to see it.

The site should be using small chunks of ugly Flash instead. Much of
this ugly Flash could be replaced by far more lightweight ugly HTML
instead.

Would it be so bad to be a bit nicer, a bit less savage, a bit
polite, a bit graceful, a bit less sarcastic... The guy wants a
bit of feedback not a frenzied shark attack...

dorayme

dorayme

From: Tony Cooper said:
alt.html is not a Help forum or a tutorial site. No one is required
or expected to offer any specific kind of advice.

However, rather than say "It's a shitty site", it is more helpful to
say "If you insist on using Flash, here's how you can use it to your
advantage:...."

It is the OP's fault here since all he asked for is a critique. He
didn't ask for suggestions. He got his critique, but he's no better
off since he doesn't seem to have a clue about improving the site and
no one has offered a clue.

I understand what you are saying here, Tony... It is not /quite/
true. If I may say so, one of the very first replies to the OP
identified bandwidth problems, made a pointer to a good webpage
explaining some things about delivering music and so on (yes, by
me, as it happens). These are clues. And among some of the other
this? They seem to think that a person inviting criticism is an
opportunity to gleefully act like a pack of sharks?) there were
some other clues. But they get obscured by the savagery. It is a
pity because some of these people actually know a few things...

dorayme

Travis Newbury

Tony said:
Where does wasted bandwidth go? Can it be recycled?
Thank you, though, for reply to my message wasting bandwidth with your
message wasting additional bandwidth by complaining about wasted
bandwidth. It's reassuring to know that there's someone else out
there who is as casual about bandwidth conservation as I am.

So it is ok for YOU to waste bandwidth complaining about someone
complaining about someone complaining about somone saying that.. oh
fudge... what the hell were we talking about....

Andy Dingley

Would it be so bad to be a bit nicer, a bit less savage, a bit
polite, a bit graceful, a bit less sarcastic...

I think you misunderstand _why_ people read alt groups.

Secondly, if you think that was caustic, you should hear what I _really_
think of this site.

dorayme

From: "Travis Newbury said:
Ok, in dorayme's trailer too...

Actually, the idea of living in a trailer park rather appeals to
me, you should see the beautiful places they are located in down
under...

I was talking ADSL broadband, btw...

dorayme

dorayme

From: Andy Dingley said:
I think you misunderstand _why_ people read alt groups.

How will I find out the true reason Andy? What do you have
hidden in your head that is not in mine?

Actually, I was thinking about this last night and came up with
a whole lot of reasons. I also thought, Gee, some people seem to
think there is just one reason. Honestly, I don't think that the
folk who tend to make pronouncements about the essence of
alt.html really know at all. They imply that they sort of know
but rarely come up with the goods. They are real good at saying
what it is /not/ ("It is not a helpdesk" blah blah blah). Now
what does this remind us of eh? (Hint: GOD)

I did read somewhere a good set of reasons to be on alt.html (by
a very nice person, I won't embarrass by naming him or her!).
You might be nice but I would bet my Martian return spacecraft
that you would no more have a deep understanding of alt.html
than folk claim to have of God...

dorayme