What do you think of this website?

Tony Cooper

Curious as to any opinions regarding the construction/design of this
website. Be brutally honest.

http://www.krystalmariecountrymusic.com/

On the "About" page:

Change "carrer" to "career".

The sentence that starts "From performing at...." is not a complete
sentence.

The arrow buttons appear not to work, but it turns out they bring up
more text on pages where there is more text than the initial text box
can hold. This is confusing when you try to operate them on the
opening page. They should appear only on the page where they are
needed.

Break the text on the Biography page into paragraphs. The reader
loses track when using the arrow buttons.

There's too much movement. It makes me dizzy. At least stop that
"Krystal Marie.com" line from moving.

hywel.jenkins

James said:
Curious as to any opinions regarding the construction/design of this
website. Be brutally honest.

http://www.krystalmariecountrymusic.com/

Flash if great when it's done well. However, yours isn't. Too much
movement, even after the page has loaded, poor layout, poor choice of
font, and once the flash has loaded there's no "design" in the rest of
the content.

ILTM that you've just got Flash, have followed a couple of tutorials
that show you how to create almost every effect, and you've used them
all on the same page - just because you can.

rf

[cross posted groups not on my server trimmed *again*. It really pisses me
off when I finish typing a reply, press the send button and the damn
newsreader says "unknown newsgroup"]

Flash if great when it's done well. However, yours isn't.

Hmmm. Prompts me to fire up a flash enabled browser, just to look.

Oh my. What Hywel said.

Plus (to the OP):

Do not change the aspect ration of images when you resize them. The image
at top right is squashed vertically, makes her look, well, grossly fat. The
ones on the music and contact pages however makes her look as skinny as a
bloody rake.

I suggest you contact Krystal to determine her reaction to this site. If I
were Krystal I would issue you with a take down order.

BTW at the bottom of the page is a line of text advising me that I need the
flash plugin to view the page. Well, I am looking at a flash page, I
already have flash installed (on this browser). Very unprofessional.

Sorry, you did mention to be brutal ;-)

Travis Newbury

James said:
Curious as to any opinions regarding the construction/design of this
website. Be brutally honest.
http://www.krystalmariecountrymusic.com/

I think it is pretty ugly. You seem to be using flash because you CAN,
not because you NEED to. (actually it looks like a swish site rather
than flash)

1. Why have a huge flash object that is nothing more than a link?

2. If you are going to go through pictures with Flash, (upper right
corner) do it on a different page, load the images dynamically, and
make the images larger.

3. Lose the Flash menu.

4. What's with the floating dots over the images? Are they suposed to
be spotlights? If so, it's not working, it is just annoying.

Now don't get me wrong. Flash is great. I am HUGE Flasher (hmmm...
sounds like brucie). Bit here is the best advice I can give you. Don't
use just because you can.

Greg N.

Don said:
Since you asked ... I hate sites that play music without my choosing to do
so. My 2¢ worth ...

So do I.

Also, the music on/off link is labelled the wrong way around. When it
says "music on" a click on it should start the music, and "music off"
should stop the music.

Jake

In message said:
Curious as to any opinions regarding the construction/design of this
website. Be brutally honest.

http://www.krystalmariecountrymusic.com/

In a standard graphical browser:
=======================

What everyone else says.

In a talking browser:
==============

Music starts on loading and drowns out what the browser is telling me;
no way to turn the music off.

If I could have heard what the browser was saying, it would have told
me:

----------------------
(Object.)
You need to install Flash Plug-in in order to view Flash content on this
website correctly. Click Here to install Flash Plug-in.Flash Template by
A4Desk
----------------------

So. Completely inaccessible.

(Hits back-button and goes elsewhere.)

General
======

Looks nice, and probably a large percentage of the potential audience
will find visiting the site an enjoyable experience.

However, the site needs a parallel 'non-flash' version as an alternative
for many viewers.

regards

Stuart

Don said:
Since you asked ... I hate sites that play music without my choosing to do
so. My 2¢ worth ...

Don

Good lord, yes! I agree!
Like people don't have their own music to listen to whilst surfing the
net...

James

Actually, it's not my page or design but I know who these people are. I was
curious if it struck others the same way it struck me - i.e. cumbersome,
overbusy. They previously had an extremely amateurish looking site, and I
suspect they overpaid someone to put this together.

I'm on dialup and it takes way too long to load. The websites I've seen of
established stars don't take nearly this long.

Travis Newbury

James said:
Actually, it's not my page or design but I know who these people are. I was
curious if it struck others the same way it struck me - i.e. cumbersome,
overbusy. They previously had an extremely amateurish looking site, and I
suspect they overpaid someone to put this together.

You mean previously they gave you a site more amateurish than this?

Please provide the URL for our monthly "worst sites" competition.

Tony Cooper

Interesting bunch of comments, but I wonder how useful they are. The
site is designed to appeal to country and western music fans that want
information on a teenaged singer.

I'm several decades removed from teenaged, can't stand C&W music, and
dislike sites that make me dizzy with special effects. I'm willing to
accept, though, that what doesn't appeal to me may be exactly what the
target group thinks is cutting-edge good.

This is a site to advertise and promote something, and should be
designed to appeal to the group that might buy the product. If it
does appeal to the potential buyers of this girl's CDs, then any
comments about the flaws of the site should be directed to flaws that
make it difficult to read or use by the intended market.

If you take away the special effects that make this site unacceptable
to the posters who have commented, you may have a site that is
uninteresting to the people who the site is intended to reach.

Travis Newbury

Tony said:
Interesting bunch of comments, but I wonder how useful they are. The
site is designed to appeal to country and western music fans that want
information on a teenaged singer.

I'm several decades removed from teenaged, can't stand C&W music, and
dislike sites that make me dizzy with special effects. I'm willing to
accept, though, that what doesn't appeal to me may be exactly what the
target group thinks is cutting-edge good.

You are right and wrong. The target group (probably)would like the
flash and pizazz. But this specific Flash and pazzaz is just plain
bad.
This is a site to advertise and promote something, and should be
designed to appeal to the group that might buy the product.
Absolutly

If you take away the special effects that make this site unacceptable
to the posters who have commented, you may have a site that is
uninteresting to the people who the site is intended to reach.

But bad special effects are just as useless as none at all. (Maybe
even more detrimental to a site)

Andy Dingley

Tony said:
any comments about the flaws of the site should be directed to flaws that
make it difficult to read or use by the intended market.

The large ugly Flash is badly implemented monolithic large ugly Flash
that needs massive bandwidth to see it.

The site should be using small chunks of ugly Flash instead. Much of
this ugly Flash could be replaced by far more lightweight ugly HTML
instead.