What happens when payment to a web site is stopped?

fulio pen

Hello,

A web site owner pays a monthly or annual fee to the hosting service for his site. He thus can upload pages to it. And other people can visit it.

What will happen if he stops the payment? Of course he will not be able to update the site by uploading new pages. Can other people continue to view the old pages? Or will all the pages be deleted?

Every site owner likes keep his site alive by paying the fees for it. But sometimes he just cannot, due to a variety of reasons. Actually he has to stop the payment eventually when he dies. What would happen to the pages on the site then?

Thanks for the information.
fulio pen

Denis McMahon

What will happen if he stops the payment?

If a customer stops paying a service provider for a service, the service
provider usually stops providing the service.

A commercially operated web host provides a hosting service for payment,
this often includes (a) the ability to upload files / edit your website
using the ftp protocol, (b) the ability to download / display your
website using the http protocol, and may include other related abilities.
Usually you would not expect any part of the service to be provided in
the event of non payment.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Stephen Wolstenholme

Hello,

A web site owner pays a monthly or annual fee to the hosting service for his site. He thus can upload pages to it. And other people can visit it.

What will happen if he stops the payment? Of course he will not be able to update the site by uploading new pages. Can other people continue to view the old pages? Or will all the pages be deleted?

Every site owner likes keep his site alive by paying the fees for it. But sometimes he just cannot, due to a variety of reasons. Actually he has to stop the payment eventually when he dies. What would happen to the pages on the site then?

Thanks for the information.
fulio pen

It depends on the hosting arrangement. Some companies will take down
the site very quickly, others give months of warning emails before
removing sites.

Steve

Jonathan N. Little

Denis said:
If a customer stops paying a service provider for a service, the service
provider usually stops providing the service.

A commercially operated web host provides a hosting service for payment,
this often includes (a) the ability to upload files / edit your website
using the ftp protocol, (b) the ability to download / display your
website using the http protocol, and may include other related abilities.
Usually you would not expect any part of the service to be provided in
the event of non payment.

On Debian it's a one-liner

sudo a2dissite deadbeat.site && sudo apache2ctl restart

or non-macro old fashion way

sudo rm /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/deadbeat.site && sudo
/etc/init.d/apache2 reload

dorayme

Denis McMahon said:
If a customer stops paying a service provider for a service, the service
provider usually stops providing the service.

A commercially operated web host provides a hosting service for payment,
this often includes (a) the ability to upload files / edit your website
using the ftp protocol, (b) the ability to download / display your
website using the http protocol, and may include other related abilities.
Usually you would not expect any part of the service to be provided in
the event of non payment.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

You don't say! I gather that motherhood on this planet are regarded in
a sympathetic way.

dorayme

fulio pen said:
A web site owner pays ... the hosting service for his
site.

What will happen if he stops the payment?

Sometimes, at least, various pages stay up for years, I had a case of
this the other day. But mostly, commercial hosts delete all your files
fairly quickly.

Gordon Levi

fulio pen said:
Hello,

A web site owner pays a monthly or annual fee to the hosting service for his site. He thus can upload pages to it. And other people can visit it.

What will happen if he stops the payment? Of course he will not be able to update the site by uploading new pages. Can other people continue to view the old pages? Or will all the pages be deleted?

Every site owner likes keep his site alive by paying the fees for it. But sometimes he just cannot, due to a variety of reasons. Actually he has to stop the payment eventually when he dies. What would happen to the pages on the site then?

Thanks for the information.
fulio pen

My only experience is with a free web site at <http://000Webhost.com>
but I am reasonably confident that other hosts would do something
similar. When they terminate the service, in my case because no one
had visited for a period that they had specified, there was no remote
access to the site by FTP or HTTP. However, I could log in to my
account and reinstate the site. In your case I assume you would need
to pay first. I don't know how long a hosting service would keep a
dead site but the time is probably fairly arbitrary depending on their
current disk capacity.

fulio pen

fulio pen &lt;[email protected]&gt; wrote:

&gt;Hello,
&gt;
&gt;A web site owner pays a monthly or annual fee to the hosting service for his site. He thus can upload pages to it. And other people can visit it.
&gt;
&gt;What will happen if he stops the payment? Of course he will not be able to update the site by uploading new pages. Can other people continue toview the old pages? Or will all the pages be deleted?
&gt;
&gt;Every site owner likes keep his site alive by paying the fees for it.But sometimes he just cannot, due to a variety of reasons. Actually he has to stop the payment eventually when he dies. What would happen to the pages on the site then?
&gt;
&gt;Thanks for the information.
&gt;fulio pen

My only experience is with a free web site at &lt;http://000Webhost.com&gt;
but I am reasonably confident that other hosts would do something
similar. When they terminate the service, in my case because no one
had visited for a period that they had specified, there was no remote
access to the site by FTP or HTTP. However, I could log in to my
account and reinstate the site. In your case I assume you would need
to pay first. I don't know how long a hosting service would keep a
dead site but the time is probably fairly arbitrary depending on their
current disk capacity.

Fairly sad. As an old man, I wish my site would continue to be online for some time, three years for instance, after I die. Other people of same interest will have a chance to visit it. They may get some revelations from my ideas, which will help their own work. Hope web sites can stay online as books on the shelf.

Thanks for your information.

fulio pen

dorayme

fulio pen said:
As an old man, I wish my site would continue to be online for some time,
three years for instance, after I die.

No need to merely wish, pay three years in advance to a one or two
very reputable hosts. It is will be like nothing compared to the cost
of the funeral and headstone.