What's needed to make a .NET web server?

Cirene

I want to build my own .NET web server.

Is this all I need...
1. Actual Server
2. Windows Server OS (with IIS)
3. .NET framework
4. MySql or another database installed

Is that is?

George

First you need to understand what you want to build.
Because I do not understand.

If you want to build your own Web Server then Google 'create web server on
C#'
But then you do not need IIS or MySql.....

If you want to build ASP.NET application then nobody can tell you what you
need. All depends on your requirements.

George.

sloan

OS, usually 2003 Server, 2008 Server (most common I would think).
IIS installed.
..Net Framework.

You ~can~ put the database server on the same machine.
Depending on your load, you may want the db server to be on (at least) 1
other seperate machine.

That's what you need to deploy (built) DotNet code.

And the skillset to deploy apps to IIS, and configure IIS and such.

I have a "virgin" server that I tests deploys on. I servicepack the OS and
framework. I install a enterprise level anti virus as well.

Check www.edealinfo.com for Dell machines for servers if you don't have a
machine. They post some good deals sometimes.

Good luck.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I want to build my own .NET web server

If you want to serve aspx files on your own web server, all you need is :

!> 2. Windows Server OS (with IIS)
!> 3. .NET framework
!> 4. MySql or another database installed

I'd recommend you use SQL Server Express for your database platform,
though, instead of MySQL. Your learning curve will be flatter.

Get it here : http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/

If you want to *write* your own web server, take a look at Cassiniv2,
which comes with source code which will show you what you need
to do to *write* your own web server.

Cassiniv2 source files:
http://blogs.msdn.com/dmitryr/attachment/548131.ashx

You will also need the v2.0 version of GACUTIL which is installed with VWD Express,
VS 2005/VS 2008 and the .Net Framework 2.0 SDK, in order to compile Cassiniv2.

If this is the option you choose, make sure to read
the "ReadMe.txt" file included in the zipped source.

Ben Schwehn

2. Windows Server OS (with IIS)

You could also use a Linux/Unix/etc server with apache and mono.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I would agree with Juan on the SQL Express versus MySql, although either can
work.

Cirene

Thanks to everyone who responded!!!

Juan T. Llibre said:
re:
[...]

!> And I'd love that :)

Just keep in mind that you're limited to .Net 2.0 *without* Web Parts.
No LINQ, either.