Where to Start?

Steven Bulmer

I used to program in C using Borland C++ Builder v4.52 but havent done
anything for a while.

I want to buy a new compiler but dont know which.

I would like to be able to compile all my old code but dont mind the effort
to port over if required.

My main venture is to create a serial port listener that can be run from
both DOS and a Windows Platform. Currently im running Windows 2000 but I
also have a laptop running XP. I would like to be able to develop the
software on both systems.

Im confused by all the .NET jargon and dont understand what it means.

Should I go for Borland C Builder 6 or Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

Your help would be most appreciated

Thanks

Steve

Victor Bazarov

Steven Bulmer said:
I used to program in C using Borland C++ Builder v4.52 but havent done
anything for a while.

I want to buy a new compiler but dont know which.

Perhaps the most recent version of Borland C++ Builder is just what
you need... Check in a Borland newsgroup.
I would like to be able to compile all my old code but dont mind the effort
to port over if required.

Depending on how much non-standard elements your code contains, you
might not need porting at all, or you might need porting even with
the same brand of compiler.
My main venture is to create a serial port listener that can be run from
both DOS and a Windows Platform.

Although it is off-topic, I'll dare to comment that making something
that works directly with hardware and runs under two different OSes
is generally impossible. Consult in newsgroups dedicated to those
platforms: comp.os.msdos.programmer and comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.
Currently im running Windows 2000 but I
also have a laptop running XP. I would like to be able to develop the
software on both systems.

Again, it may not be possible as far as hardware is concerned (althogh
from many other standpoints, XP and 2000 are _extremely_ similar).
Im confused by all the .NET jargon and dont understand what it means.

You should ask about it in a .NET newsgroup. Here .NET jargon is not
on topic.
Should I go for Borland C Builder 6 or Microsoft Visual C++ .NET

Yes.

Victor