Which compiler or IDE?

dktekno

I have long wondered what the reason is that the majority of companies chose
Visual C++ instead of Borland C++ Builder. In my opinion, C++ Builder or
Delphi gives you a much more easy understanding of your own programs, and
more flexibility in how to operate everything. What is the reason people use
Visual C++ instead of C++ Builder?

Visual C++ is slowy, and when I am designing programs, I don't have the same
kind of freedom to move around my windows and forms like I can in Delphi.

What are the reasons C++ Builder is not appreciated as Visual C++ and the
alike?

ivan.leben

Visual C++ = Microsoft -> Microsoft = monopol -> monopol = contracts
with large companies (and small ones too). Get it?

Plus, if we get down to the very functionalities of the two mentioned
IDEs:
- Visual C++ (or simply Visual Studio as its now called) will ALWAYS
have better up-to-date support for .NET framework, since the framework
is written by the same companies developers
- Visual Studio is starting to include more and more tools for project
leading and organization of any stage in development of an application
including debugging etc. which is becoming more and more important to
reach a high speed of delivering products in the market and todays
bussiness world is all about speed and competivness
- Visual Studio has currently the best code debugger ever, and
debugging represents 70% of development time, so this means a great
improvement in speed again

greets,
Ivan Leben

dktekno

Why is support so important, when you can just write in a newsgroup if you
have a problem with some software?

I have noticed that even a small program in Visual C++ compiles rather slowy
when compared to Delphi, where it is compiled instantly.

ivan.leben

Sorry I expressed myself badly. I didn't mean support as customer help
when somebody doesn't know how to write a piece of code. I meant
support as how much of the code (specification) of the .NET framework
is implemented and can actually be used and how good the compiler
understands all the code and how rock-solid the compiling is.

Speed of compilation of a single file is nothing compared against the
time you need to debug human mistakes with the lack of a good debugger.
And these mistakes always (will) arise, until a pure generic
programming language of fifth generation will be discovered (you tell
what things you want to happen instead of how the things work).

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Sorry I expressed myself badly. I didn't mean support as customer help
when somebody doesn't know how to write a piece of code. I meant
support as how much of the code (specification) of the .NET framework
is implemented and can actually be used and how good the compiler
understands all the code and how rock-solid the compiling is.

Sorry, this group does nor discuse the .NET framework nor the CLI
infrastructure.

ivan.leben

Julián Albo said:
Sorry, this group does nor discuse the .NET framework nor the CLI
infrastructure.

I suggest you read the first post in the topic before writing so you
know what the discussion is about. I was not asking about it, I was
explaining and answering the questions ;)

Kai-Uwe Bux

I suggest you read the first post in the topic before writing so you
know what the discussion is about. I was not asking about it, I was
explaining and answering the questions ;)

a) If you want the contexts of your posts to be understood, you should quote
enough to make them comprehensible. A news group works not like chat room:
may have propagated slower than later posts. Because this, you cannot
assume that the history is accessible to everyone.

b) Answers to off-topic questions that address the substance of the question
are also off-topic. Thus, you are guilty of the charge.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

ivan.leben

a) If you want the contexts of your posts to be understood, you should quote
enough to make them comprehensible. A news group works not like chat room:
may have propagated slower than later posts. Because this, you cannot
assume that the history is accessible to everyone.

b) Answers to off-topic questions that address the substance of the question
are also off-topic. Thus, you are guilty of the charge.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

Ok I didn't think about that previously. Thanks for the explanation and
apologies to Julián Albo. That will not happen again.

regards,
Ivan Leben