Which VHDL Development Kit

Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi All,
I want to buy a VHDL development board to do a specific task. I want to do the following:

:- Accept a MIDI signal as input via USB.
:- Process the MIDI signal(lookup table function)
:- Output the processed MIDI signal via USB

I have seen some pretty low-cost kits such as the Basys System Board from Digilent. This unit has one USB port and four 6-pin Pmod connectors. My understanding is that the USB port could used as either an i/p or o/p by writing a suitable interface? I am wondering if one of the 6-pin Pmod connectors could somehow be mapped to a USB i/p or o/p (maybe by means of some sort of manual hack such as snipping a USB cable and connecting each of the 5 wires to a pin on one of the Pmod connectors). This way I could have a USB i/p and a USB o/p.

I'd be grateful if someone could impart their wisdom on this subject.
Thanks,
Ger.