Why "Welcome Message" I post come get posted as the reply to same post ?

arnuld

I don't understand, every week I post "Welcome Message" as a new post
and it gets posted as reply to my older "Welcome Message",
automatically. What exactly is happening ?

I have tried both PAN and www.groups.google.com interface but still
same problem :(

red floyd

arnuld said:
I don't understand, every week I post "Welcome Message" as a new post
and it gets posted as reply to my older "Welcome Message",
automatically. What exactly is happening ?

I have tried both PAN and www.groups.google.com interface but still
same problem :(

It's an artifact of your newsreader. It sees the same name and assumes
they're related. Don't sweat it. We *do* appreciate you taking the
time and initiative to post the weekly welcome message!

Shadowman

arnuld said:
I don't understand, every week I post "Welcome Message" as a new post
and it gets posted as reply to my older "Welcome Message",
automatically. What exactly is happening ?

I have tried both PAN and www.groups.google.com interface but still
same problem :(
It's actually the news client (google or otherwise) that handles
threading. Many of them do this by subject line.

You could always slightly change the subject header with each post if it
bothers you. But it's not really much of an issue -- the message gets
delivered either way.

Jim Langston

arnuld said:
I don't understand, every week I post "Welcome Message" as a new post
and it gets posted as reply to my older "Welcome Message",
automatically. What exactly is happening ?

I have tried both PAN and www.groups.google.com interface but still
same problem :(

Because it has the same subject line it believes the post is related. You
would have to change the subject line even slightly to get a new thread.
One idea, if it's easy for you, is to put the date on the subject line.
Something like:

===Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this first. - Sept 4th, 2007
would give it it's own thread, but the welcome messages have been in the
same thread for like, ever, so you shouldn't sweat it unless you really want
to.

arnuld

It's an artifact of your newsreader. It sees the same name and assumes
they're related. Don't sweat it. We *do* appreciate you taking the
time and initiative to post the weekly welcome message!

thanks... feel happy to read those words :)

BobR

Jim Langston wrote in message...
Because it has the same subject line it believes the post is related. You
would have to change the subject line even slightly to get a new thread.
One idea, if it's easy for you, is to put the date on the subject line.
Something like:

===Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this first. - Sept 4th, 2007
would give it it's own thread, but the welcome messages have been in the
same thread for like, ever, so you shouldn't sweat it unless you really want
to.

I'm torn between the current method and wanting 'newbies' to easily find the
post.
I think your idea is a solution. I was thinking maybe just use the year,
but, that would only start a new thread every January. So, maybe
'month/year' would be a good compromise.
===Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this first. - Sept, 2007

What do y'all think (assuming arnuld would want to mess with it)?

Thanks for your efforts, arnuld. Good job.

arnuld

I'm torn between the current method and wanting 'newbies' to easily find the
post.
I think your idea is a solution. I was thinking maybe just use the year,
but, that would only start a new thread every January. So, maybe
'month/year' would be a good compromise.
===Welcome to comp.lang.c++! Read this first. - Sept, 2007

What do y'all think (assuming arnuld would want to mess with it)?

yes, i want to mess (because it is not a big-sweat-stuff)
Thanks for your efforts, arnuld. Good job.

A Hacky-Boy just returning something back to the community, though a
little return :)