Write To Disk From Web Control

Andrew Hayes

Hi everyone.

I have an old VB6 ActiveX control that is used in an ASP web page so that a
user can save a fixed-format file containing their own information to their
local hard disk.

It accomplishes this using an ADODB.Stream object.

However, we are now rewriting the old web app as an ASP.NET web app, and I'd
like to use .NET 2.0 to do the same thing, taking into account the extra
security in IE 7.

We will be signing the control using a cert from our CA so that our
customers know it's from us.

From what I've read I need to use a FileStream object, but that's about all
I know. So far I've created a solution with a ASP.NET Web Application project
and a Web Control Library project. Now I need to get the control onto the
default.aspx page and set permissions so that it can write to the clients
hard-drive, rather than the servers.

Any pointers?