XPost: Problem with IIS 7 and DB's

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jan K. van Dalen, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. Ok, I wrote test (ASP, ASP.Net & PHP) all of them hitting the same database.

    This is the first time I try to connect to a DB under Vista/II7 and it seems
    that I'm missing setting some type of security but don't know what.

    When test the ODBC connection everything works fine, when executed from
    inside ASP, I get this error:

    Unable to establish connection to database.
    Error information:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to start database
    server
    Other possible cause of this problem:
    The database cannot be opened, most likely due to incorrect connection
    settings or insufficient security set on your database folder or file.
    For more details please refer to
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306518

    The link does not help me. I have seem many reference to IIS 7 having lots
    of problems connecting with DB's (BTW, I'm using Sybase ASA 9.x)

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Jan K. van Dalen, Aug 8, 2007

  2. Jan K. van Dalen

    David Wang Guest

    IIS does not connect with databases. It runs applications that connect
    with databases.

    I suspect you are seeing a variant of this:
    http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/...derstanding-temporary-directory-failures.aspx

    It really illustrates a hidden weakness within the database being
    used.

    //David
    http://w3-4u.blogspot.com
    http://blogs.msdn.com/David.Wang
    //

    David Wang, Aug 8, 2007

  3. David, first, thanks.

    I was able to get it working doing in part what the link recomended but also
    had to turn on ASP.Net impersonation and set it to my own user/password.

    Jan K. van Dalen, Aug 8, 2007