ASPNET account and Domain Controller

Richard Chandler

We're having a problem with ASP.NET security and running on a Win2k Domain
Controller.

We can't set up the access rights to the registry for ASPNET as the user
doesn't exist, this access is required so that the process can obtain the
credentials from the registry (as stamped with aspnet_setreg.exe) and
impersonate the required network user.

Has anyone else got around this problem, other than not installing the
website on a domain controller.

Thanks for reading,

Richard.

Ken Schaefer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315158

Cheers
Ken

: There is a KB article addressing this... It can be done.
:
: --
: Thanks,
: Martin Schmid, EIT, CCSA, MCDBA, MCSE
:
: message : > We're having a problem with ASP.NET security and running on a Win2k
Domain
: > Controller.
: >
:

Mark

Mine works when I set both the aspnet_wp and the iwam_machinename account
access to the registry keys. The web page that discusses the
aspnet_setreg.exe is a good source for more information. It will also let
you know that you need to set the "Network Service" for 2003 servers. The
KB article has a mistype on the account name by the way.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329290

If you are able to get your impersonation to work help me out. I have
another thread dealing with other problems with getting impersonation to
work on a DC. "Failed to start monitoring file changes" is the name of the
thread. This is the error that I get once I try to access my asp.net web
site.