Error doing a new webservice project

Jeff Lindholm

Any idea what I would need to look at configuring when I get.

"The Web server reported the following error when attepting to create or
open the Web project located ath the following URL:
'http://localhost/WebServices/WebService1'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server
Error'.

IIS is running and I can open it in a browser window. IIS does have a
virtual directory called WebServices.

Version 7.1.3088 of 2003 Framework is 1.1.4322
XP Pro all updates installed

Thanks
Jeff

Jason Wager

Hi Jeff,

Had the same error message some days before.
I do not believe it has anything to do with access to the IIS from a client,
but rather that the Web Server is trying to do something that it is not
allowed to.
Either a bug in the code, which you probably have rules out, or that the Web
Project is trying to create an object that it does not have the rights to.
The list "microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security" has a few
messages which addresses this problem.

Try making a program which does the same as the Web Project. If this works,
it is clearly rights.
I have found that I get better error descriptions with asp pages than I get
with web server pages. You can try creating an asp page which does the same
(same as the program). This will give much better error descriptions,
enabling you to find out exactly where the rights are wrong. (If the program
does not work, then it might be something else, and I do not know anything
to help you then).

I hope this is helpful for you.

Jason

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Jeff,

Are you using file share or FPSE access mode?

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)