Form in Html 4.01 strict and CSS

Luigi Donatello Asero

Steve Pugh said:
It's not meant to look good. Adding the red border is just an aid for
the author (you) to see what is happening. Once you've fixed all the
problems you should remove it.

Steve

To me http://www.italymap.dk/sv/formular.html
seems to look pretty good at IE 6.0.
But when I insert the red border it makes a mess
http://www.italymap.dk/sv/test.html because it change the position of a box.

I also tested
http://www.italymap.dk/sv/formular.html
at http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html
and it looks rather good in my opinion.

Nico Schuyt

Luigi said:
To me http://www.italymap.dk/sv/formular.html
seems to look pretty good at IE 6.0.
But when I insert the red border it makes a mess
http://www.italymap.dk/sv/test.html because it change the position of
a box.

You changed more than *one* thing. (Compare the presentation of the menu in
both pages for example).
In the process of debugging (=finding and correcting the errors) you should
do it step by step. After every step: test it every time in IE6 and Mozilla,
often in Opera and IE5.5 and sometimes in Lynx.
If you cann't solve it, start form scratch.

Ehhh, do you still think it hadn't been easier to hire a professional? :)
Nico

Luigi Donatello Asero

Nico Schuyt said:
You changed more than *one* thing. (Compare the presentation of the menu in
both pages for example).
In the process of debugging (=finding and correcting the errors) you should
do it step by step. After every step: test it every time in IE6 and Mozilla,
often in Opera and IE5.5 and sometimes in Lynx.
If you cann't solve it, start form scratch.

Ehhh, do you still think it hadn't been easier to hire a professional? :)
Nico

Yes, I still think it had not been easier to hire a professional.
One question about downloading more than one browser on the same computer:
are they compatible with each other?

Nico Schuyt

Luigi said:
Nico Schuyt skrev i meddelandet
Yes, I still think it had not been easier to hire a professional.

For us it would be :)
One question about downloading more than one browser on the same
computer: are they compatible with each other?

IE6, Mozilla, Opera and Lynx is no problem.
For using more versions of IE: Create multiple partitions, each with it's
own Win-OS and another version of IE.
Easier: http://www.insert-title.com/web_design/?page=articles/dev/multi_IE
Nico

Nico Schuyt

Luigi said:
"Nico Schuyt" skrev i meddelandet
What about Netscape and IE 6.0? Are they compatible with each other?
No problem.
But, whilst you've been in this ng for such a long time, it surprises me you
didn't download and apply the browsers I mentioned long time ago :-(
Are all of these browsers freeware?
Why do you ask?? It'll take you less than 5 minutes to find out yourself :)
Nico

picayunish

Nico said:
Edwin, you disappoint me. A year ago you probably would have built a
complete site for a guy like Luigi instead of only submitting some screen
pictures.
Is your new job more demanding than the former one?

The new job is demanding in a certain point of view.
I have 3 courses a week namely:
- an electronic course (toegepaste electronica);
- trouble shooting course of DVD-drives in Belgium;
- programming course of programmable integrated circuit with vddl.

Thats why don't build a complete site in one for to help somebody.
When I have more time, then probable I would help e.g. Luigi with his site.

Nico Schuyt

The new job is demanding in a certain point of view.
I have 3 courses a week namely:
- an electronic course (toegepaste electronica);
- trouble shooting course of DVD-drives in Belgium;
- programming course of programmable integrated circuit with vddl.
Thats why don't build a complete site in one for to help somebody.
When I have more time, then probable I would help e.g. Luigi with his
site.

I see :)
So, a career as webdesigner is no longer one of your aims I suppose?
Groet, Nico

Andrew Glasgow

Michael Fesser said:
All of the items in column 1 would be of one category (label) and all
your entries in column 2 would be of a category (form element) and each
entry in the first column would correspond to an entry in the second
column. Now this is no tabular information?

Micha

I think of the content of form elements to be the information the user
enters. It's a portion of the page where the content is created by the
end user not the original creator of the page.

Therefore, you should evaluate it on the basis of the label and the data
that the user will be entering in the form element. Do they form a
tabular structure?

Andrew Glasgow

Nico Schuyt said:
You're right :)
But I still see no harm in a table in this particular case. Especially in
complex forms it can be confusing for the visitor when labels and textboxes
are jumping all over the screen, so I like them to be in a fixed relation.
Nico

Right but you can do this with CSS as well as with tables.