Global PreRequestHandler error after Win Server 2003 SP1 installation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Todd Gill, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. Todd Gill

    Todd Gill Guest

    We have recently modified our ASP.NET web application to make web
    service calls asynchronously using the global.asax PreRequestHandler
    technique as explained in the following article by Matt Powell of
    Microsoft Coproration:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnservice/html/service07222003.asp

    We were experiencing the symptoms described in the article: awful
    performance under load when calling web services synchronously from an
    aspx page!

    So we implemented the technique described in the article. The
    application worked just fine on our development environment, which runs
    Windows Server 2003. However, we noticed it would not run on our
    staging environment, which was also running on Windows Server 2003.
    Instead, we got this error from the staging server:

    "Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1). error CS0011:
    Referenced class '[App Name].Global' has base class or interface
    'System.Web.HttpApplication' defined in an assembly that is not
    referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.Web'."

    Why did this code work on the development machine and not the staging
    machine? It turns out that our staging machine had Windows Server 2003
    SP1 installed. Then, as soon as we installed SP1 on our development
    machine today, we got the same error on the development machine. The
    code has not been altered.

    To make sure this was not my error, I installed the ASP.NET web
    application and web service downloaded directly from the article listed
    above. Predictably, I got the same results.

    To duplicate this problem, download and install (on your Windows 2003
    Server with SP1) the ASP.NET application listed at:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnservice/html/service07222003.asp

    And attempt to view the page:

    http://localhost/WebApp/PreRequestHandlerPage.aspx (THIS IS
    CASE-SENSITIVE IN THE AUTHOR'S IMPLEMENTATION, SO MAKE SURE TO USE THIS
    PATH)

    Any suggestions?

    Todd Gill
    Ossia Systems