Please criticize this page (not on the whole website!)

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
Not many people can speak Latin outside Italy.
Congratulations.

Don't give me too much credit; -a year and a half in HS, that's it. I'm
much better at pig-latin, though.

PeterMcC

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote in
"Neredbojias" <http://www.neredbojias.com/fliam.php?cat=alt.html>
skrev i meddelandet

Not many people can speak Latin outside Italy.

I think that may be a hasty assumption.

I occasionally have cause to refer to Latin inflections when working with
groups of people in the UK. When I ask how many of them studied Latin at
school, I'd guess that around 20% say that they did. And that doesn't
include all those did but who won't admit it in case there's a question
about Latin declensions on its way.

My clients are certainly not representative - I wouldn't suggest for a
minute that 20% of the UK population has a familiarity with Latin - but it's
enough to suggest that there may be considerably more people with a grasp of
Latin outside of Italy than in it.

As an example:
http://www.yleradio1.fi/nuntii/
Radio Finland's weekly news digest in Classical Latin - if you haven't seen
it before, I think you'll find it's pretty compulsive stuff.

The reporting of Finland's victory in the European Song Contest (and there's
a whole new can of worms for non-Europeans) was particularly fine "Lordi,
grex Finnicus graviori musicae metallicae deditus, in suffragio
duodequadraginta nationum ducenta nonaginta duo puncta obtinuit, qui numerus
longe maximus est in historia semisaeculari huius certaminis."

OTOH, Luigi, yours may not be a hasty assumption - perhaps it is a fact. If
so, my apologies.

dorayme

Not many people can speak Latin outside Italy.

I think that may be a hasty assumption.

I occasionally have cause to refer to Latin inflections when working with
groups of people in the UK. When I ask how many of them studied Latin at
school, I'd guess that around 20% say that they did. And that doesn't
include all those did but who won't admit it in case there's a question
about Latin declensions on its way.

My clients are certainly not representative - I wouldn't suggest for a
minute that 20% of the UK population ha[/QUOTE]

before you go on and on... he said speak Latin.

PeterMcC

dorayme wrote in
I think that may be a hasty assumption.

I occasionally have cause to refer to Latin inflections when working
with groups of people in the UK. When I ask how many of them studied
Latin at school, I'd guess that around 20% say that they did. And
that doesn't include all those did but who won't admit it in case
there's a question about Latin declensions on its way.

My clients are certainly not representative - I wouldn't suggest for
a minute that 20% of the UK population ha

before you go on and on... he said speak Latin.[/QUOTE]

I know - I assumed that Luigi (There is a Luigi, isn't there? It's not just
you up to mischief?) meant "had an understanding of" rather than actually
spoke.

I suspect that, outside of academia and the church (I hope I don't set that
John Fowles chap off with a reference to religion), there's no one actually
speaking Latin nowadays.

To be pedantic, he said "_can_ speak Latin", which suggests a capability for
speaking it rather than actually doing so. Whilst those who have studied
Latin may well be able to speak it, in all probability, they don't do so on
a regular basis.

And now I look more closely, Luigi said "Not many people can speak Latin
outside Italy" - it is perfectly possible to speak Latin outside Italy and
there is no difference between the numbers of people capable of speaking
Latin inside Italy and those capable of speaking it outside Italy. Are you
suggesting that a Latin-capable Italians suddenly cannot speak Latin once
they've crossed into Switzerland?

Anyway, I thought you'd gone to sleep round that side.

IronFist

Fine. But I do not agree.
Any further suggestions?

Yes. Dip your head in a bucket of tar.

You're a fucking moron.

You ask for opinions. Sally very kindly gives you hers and...

YOU ARGUE WITH HER?

Are you mad?

Your page looks like shit. There. I can think of nothing nice to say
about it.

Or you.

You are wasted in here. You belong in alt.flame.ungrateful-assholes.

Plonk

BusyGuy

Chaddy2222 said:
I agree, his page is too long.
By the way how does http://freewebdesign.cjb.cc
Look on a Mac?
I don't have a Mac to check how it looks and the online checkers do not
always work that well.

It looks ok on a Mac, Chad.

It is a tad more esthetically-pleasing than the first time I opined
but, to be honest, it still could use a little work.

1 It is still my opinion that you should ditch the exclamation mark.

2 The yellow-background top banner is correctly-aligned with "home"
but not with the text below.

3 The colors are too bright. On some monitors, bright red can burn out
everything else and be unreadable. That's not the case here but the
risk is obvious.

There is too little on the page or, alternatively, what is there should
not be so bunched up. Spread out. As I said earlier, align centre.

PeterMcC

IronFist wrote in
Yes. Dip your head in a bucket of tar.
You ask for opinions. Sally very kindly gives you hers and...

YOU ARGUE WITH HER?

Are you mad?
I can think of nothing nice to say about it.

Or you.

You are wasted in here.

No, Luigi - don't you listen...

...oh, you don't do you?

Sorry, Luigi - couldn't resist it.

Chaddy2222

BusyGuy said:
It looks ok on a Mac, Chad.

It is a tad more esthetically-pleasing than the first time I opined
but, to be honest, it still could use a little work.

1 It is still my opinion that you should ditch the exclamation mark.

2 The yellow-background top banner is correctly-aligned with "home"
but not with the text below.

3 The colors are too bright. On some monitors, bright red can burn out
everything else and be unreadable. That's not the case here but the
risk is obvious.

There is too little on the page or, alternatively, what is there should
not be so bunched up. Spread out. As I said earlier, align centre.
Thanks for that.
I am planning on actually adding some new content in the next week or
so. So i'll make sure it is not as "bunched up when the new content is
added. A long with that will be one or two new pages.

Luigi Donatello Asero

PeterMcC said:
dorayme wrote in

I know - I assumed that Luigi (There is a Luigi, isn't there? It's not just
you up to mischief?) meant "had an understanding of" rather than actually
spoke.

No, I meant "spoke".

PeterMcC

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote in
No, I meant "spoke".

Well, I'm glad that's cleared up.

I'd no idea that, outside of the Church, Latin was actually spoken very much
in Italy.

I'd guess that there are millions outside of Italy who can speak some Latin
but since there are so many people speaking Latin in Italy, I suppose that -
in relative terms - not many people speak Latin outside Italy.

Your point, I concede.

Luigi Donatello Asero

PeterMcC said:
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote in
<[email protected]>
I'd no idea that, outside of the Church, Latin was actually spoken very much
in Italy.

Not "very much" but I guess that there are more people who can speak Latin
in Italy than in other countries apart from the Vatican State....and again,
they do not need speak it fluently....

PeterMcC

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote in
Not "very much" but I guess that there are more people who can speak
Latin in Italy than in other countries apart from the Vatican
State....and again, they do not need speak it fluently....

Ah, I hadn't realised that it was a guess. Thanks for the clarification.

dorayme

PeterMcC said:
I know - I assumed that Luigi (There is a Luigi, isn't there? It's not just
you up to mischief?) meant "had an understanding of" rather than actually
spoke.

No he did not mean this, he meant what he said. If you had read
what I had said about my own important and informative experience
you would see what the situation was. And, no I did not create
the Luigi website, how absolutely dare you? I have made an
appointment with my lawyers for later this morning to see how I
might sue you, can you please supply full name and address for
the orders to be served. In the court case, it will emerge that I
do have an uncanny sympathy and understanding of Luigi but that I
am obviously quite a distinct being to him. He will have a tie on
and he will be framed by a border in a lurid "#0FFFFF"

dorayme

PeterMcC said:
Luigi Donatello Asero wrote in

Ah, I hadn't realised that it was a guess. Thanks for the clarification.

It was a good guess, there are people who can speak it, even
fluently and I have met them. Likelier, there are more people in
Italy, especially around the Vatican who could do so than in any
other comparable area outside Italy.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Of course I cannot know in advance whether I want to follow it or
not before I have heard what you think on a certain subject.
If I think that I do not like your suggestions I do not follow
them. Stop.

And you shouldn't follow any of them.

That seagull that jumps around on the page? Brilliant. Everybody
loves hamsterdance, and this is like that but with a seagull instead of
a bunch of hamsters.

Too long? I don't think so. No one will quit reading the page,
because everyone is on the edge of his seat, wondering whether the next
paragraph will be indented or not. Keep 'em guessing! Again,
brilliant. (Spoiler: Vs lbh xrrc ernqvat, gurer'f rira n puhax bs
grkg abg vafvqr <c> gntf, fb vg ehaf nyy gur jnl gb gur rqtr bs gur
ivrjcbeg! V ybir vg!)

Not well organized? Heck, it has tables! You can't get more organized
than that.

Jamming the tables and text against the images? A beautiful and, yes,
brilliant, economy of space.

But the whole page seems to be written in some sort of code that I
can't decypher. I guess that's just another reason visit every day, to
try to figure it out. I bet it has something to do with seagulls.

PeterMcC

dorayme wrote in
No he did not mean this, he meant what he said. If you had read
what I had said about my own important and informative experience
you would see what the situation was. And, no I did not create
the Luigi website, how absolutely dare you? I have made an
appointment with my lawyers for later this morning to see how I
might sue you, can you please supply full name and address for
the orders to be served. In the court case, it will emerge that I
do have an uncanny sympathy and understanding of Luigi but that I
am obviously quite a distinct being to him. He will have a tie on
and he will be framed by a border in a lurid "#0FFFFF"

1 - That seagull will never stand up in court.

2 - The prospect of being the first earthling to be sued by a Martian is
quite attractive but,

3 - there's a strong chance of further teeing off everyone here so,

4 - I concede, unconditionally.

What is Latin, anyway?