    the clients are using the Microsoft SOAP toolkit to invoke the web
    methods).

    , Oct 12, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a scenario where I have thousands of web service clients all
    > referencing a URL of a .wsdl file generated by SOAP toolkit. I now need
    > to upgrade the backend of the web service (from SOAP toolkit C++)
    > without altering the client applications. I thought this was possible
    > using the wsdl.exe tool which comes with the .NET framework, however
    > once you have generated the server side code and added your
    > implementation the address of the .wsdl changes to <URL of .aspx
    > file>?WSDL. Therefore my question is this, can you use the .wsdl tool
    > to replace the implementation of a web service with .NET code without
    > altering the address the client uses to access the web service. (Note:
    > the clients are using the Microsoft SOAP toolkit to invoke the web
    > methods).

    What do you mean that the address of the WSDL file changed? .NET will have
    added the ?WSDL address, but the old one should certainly still be there.

    Also, you probably want your clients to see your existing WSDL and not one
    generated by ASP.NET. So, remove the "documentation" protocol:

    <system.web>
    <webServices>
    <protocols>
    <remove name="Documentation"></remove>
    <remove name="HttpGet"></remove>
    <remove name="HttpPost"></remove>
    </protocols>
    </webServices>
    </system.web>

    This will also get rid of two other protocols you probably don't want.

    Then just tell your clients to get the WSDL from teh same place as before.

    John

    John Saunders, Oct 12, 2006

    Ok, but how do you actually go about this? I cannot find any
    documentation whcih gives you a real step by step approach including
    the deployment. At the moment I have a website which contains the old
    WSDL, let's call it HelloService. I've generated the server .net code
    using wsdl.exe and built a binary, say HelloServiceDotNet.dll. What
    would I then do to ensure that requests made from my SoapToolkit
    clients to the old WSDL end up going to the .NET code in
    HelloServiceDotNet.dll?

    John Saunders wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >I have a scenario where I have thousands of web service clients all
    > > referencing a URL of a .wsdl file generated by SOAP toolkit. I now need
    > > to upgrade the backend of the web service (from SOAP toolkit C++)
    > > without altering the client applications. I thought this was possible
    > > using the wsdl.exe tool which comes with the .NET framework, however
    > > once you have generated the server side code and added your
    > > implementation the address of the .wsdl changes to <URL of .aspx
    > > file>?WSDL. Therefore my question is this, can you use the .wsdl tool
    > > to replace the implementation of a web service with .NET code without
    > > altering the address the client uses to access the web service. (Note:
    > > the clients are using the Microsoft SOAP toolkit to invoke the web
    > > methods).

    > What do you mean that the address of the WSDL file changed? .NET will have
    > added the ?WSDL address, but the old one should certainly still be there.
    >
    > Also, you probably want your clients to see your existing WSDL and not one
    > generated by ASP.NET. So, remove the "documentation" protocol:
    >
    > <system.web>
    > <webServices>
    > <protocols>
    > <remove name="Documentation"></remove>
    > <remove name="HttpGet"></remove>
    > <remove name="HttpPost"></remove>
    > </protocols>
    > </webServices>
    > </system.web>
    >
    > This will also get rid of two other protocols you probably don't want.
    >
    > Then just tell your clients to get the WSDL from teh same place as before.
    >
    > John

    , Oct 13, 2006
  4. <> wrote in message
    > Ok, but how do you actually go about this? I cannot find any
    > documentation whcih gives you a real step by step approach including
    > the deployment. At the moment I have a website which contains the old
    > WSDL, let's call it HelloService. I've generated the server .net code
    > using wsdl.exe and built a binary, say HelloServiceDotNet.dll. What
    > would I then do to ensure that requests made from my SoapToolkit
    > clients to the old WSDL end up going to the .NET code in
    > HelloServiceDotNet.dll?

    Your clients don't make calls to the WSDL, they make calls to the web
    service described by the WSDL. Change the location attribute in the
    <soap:address> element inside of <wsdl:port> inside of <wsdl:service>. Have
    it point to the new URL, and the clients should be using the new one.

    John

    John Saunders, Oct 13, 2006