Wxpython demo crashes

Discussion in 'Python' started by Pekka Karjalainen, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. I'm using WinXP (Finnish), Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC
    v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32 and wxPython 2.6.0.1.

    When I go to the Process and Events section in the wxDemo and run the
    Process demo, bad things can happen. It crashes. I think the crash is
    caused by characters outside the basic ASCII range, but I haven't tested
    it in detail.

    This is reproducible on my system:

    Start Wxdemo. Go to Process and Events and choose Process item.
    Choose Demo tab, and click Execute so the child process starts.
    Enter the single character <รค> into the text input and click send.

    Result: Up pops "The program has performed an illegal operation and will
    be shut down". (Or however that goes in English.) And it is shut down.

    The character in the angle brackets is a with an umlaut, which you can
    get with the alt-code 132.

    Does this happen to anyone else? Can I give more useful details?

    I haven't run into other problems with wxpython. It's great in fact. I'm
    finally seeing some point in learning GUI programming myself :)

    --
    Pekka Henrik Karjalainen -+- Oulu, Finland
    Pekka Karjalainen, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Pekka Karjalainen

    Greg Krohn Guest

    Pekka Karjalainen wrote:
    > I'm using WinXP (Finnish), Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC
    > v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32 and wxPython 2.6.0.1.
    >
    > When I go to the Process and Events section in the wxDemo and run the
    > Process demo, bad things can happen. It crashes. I think the crash is
    > caused by characters outside the basic ASCII range, but I haven't tested
    > it in detail.

    Do you have the unicode version of wxPython?

    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.6-win32-unicode-2.6.1.0-py24.exe
    ^^^^^^^
    Greg Krohn, Jun 7, 2005

  3. In article <xPmpe.598$>,
    Greg Krohn wrote:
    > Do you have the unicode version of wxPython?
    >
    > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.6-win32-unicode-2.6.1.0-py24.exe

    I think I do, because it shows the Unicode demo correctly, and I recall
    that I specifically chose that from the download section. I'm not at the
    right computer ATM, however, so I will have to check this later to be
    sure.

    --
    Pekka Henrik Karjalainen -+- Oulu, Finland
    Pekka Karjalainen, Jun 8, 2005