Wxpython demo crashes

Pekka Karjalainen

I'm using WinXP (Finnish), Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC
v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32 and wxPython 2.6.0.1.

When I go to the Process and Events section in the wxDemo and run the
Process demo, bad things can happen. It crashes. I think the crash is
caused by characters outside the basic ASCII range, but I haven't tested
it in detail.

This is reproducible on my system:

Start Wxdemo. Go to Process and Events and choose Process item.
Choose Demo tab, and click Execute so the child process starts.
Enter the single character <ä> into the text input and click send.

Result: Up pops "The program has performed an illegal operation and will
be shut down". (Or however that goes in English.) And it is shut down.

The character in the angle brackets is a with an umlaut, which you can
get with the alt-code 132.

Does this happen to anyone else? Can I give more useful details?

I haven't run into other problems with wxpython. It's great in fact. I'm
finally seeing some point in learning GUI programming myself :)

Greg Krohn

Pekka said:
I'm using WinXP (Finnish), Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC
v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32 and wxPython 2.6.0.1.

When I go to the Process and Events section in the wxDemo and run the
Process demo, bad things can happen. It crashes. I think the crash is
caused by characters outside the basic ASCII range, but I haven't tested
it in detail.

Do you have the unicode version of wxPython?

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wxpython/wxPython2.6-win32-unicode-2.6.1.0-py24.exe
^^^^^^^