A Newbie Here!

Absad

Hello to all. Am a newbie in java, just installing the package on my
system. I want to start learning the language from the scratch, and I
hope you guys will assist me in all fronts.

Presently I encountered some problems at the installation stage; after
running the J2eedk-1.4.3 for windows, I could not call up the compiler
from the command prompt, have been trying this since wednesday.
Meanwhile,I downloaded a popular java text editor (jedit42), but since
I could not run it, as it keeps on telling me that it could not find
the JDK in my system. (I saved my JDK in C:, in a folder titled: Sun -
Sun\Appserver) How can I find the right PATH?

Could you all help me out please. I want to find the java.exe file
from the command prompt, an indication that my system is configured.

Help me out please.

cp

Its your PATH which isnt set properly.
Assuming your using windows.
1) Right-click on 'My Computer' and select properties.
2) A number of tabbed panes is now available. Select the 'Advanced' tab.
3) Select the 'Environmen Variables' button.
In there you will find a System Variable called CLASSPATH. This is the path
that windows
checks each time you call something from the command prompt. In that
CLASSPATH you must
set the absolute path to your java distribution.

EXAMPLE:
On my machine that looks like:
Variable Value
CLASSPATH .;X:\Java\jre1.5.0_07\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

Note the . (dot) and the ; (semi-colon) before the X which is the letter for
your given drive.
Also note that this is the JRE distrobution which is why it aims at a *.zip
file. If you have the
JDK package then direct the path to the BIN directory under JDK.

Chris Uppal

Absad said:
Hello to all. Am a newbie in java, just installing the package on my
system. I want to start learning the language from the scratch, and I
hope you guys will assist me in all fronts.

Presently I encountered some problems at the installation stage; after
running the J2eedk-1.4.3 for windows

I think you've just downloaded the devkit for enterprise stuff -- which (a) is
/not/ a good place to start learning the language, and (b) does not (if I
remember correctly) inlcude the "normal" JDK which is where the compiler and so
on are.

You should look for the real JDK at:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

There are versions with and without "netbeans" (a large IDE), and it seems
there's even one with the JEE stuff included (which I guess is not the thing
you've already downloaded or you wouldn't be having these problems).

-- chris

Andrew Thompson

Absad said:
Hello to all.

Hello again.

Please refrain from multi-posting in future.

If you need to reach several groups, you can X-post by
(Separate multiple groups with commas), but that
is usually unnecessary.

You have found a good group for beginners, in c.l.j.help.

Andrew T.

Absad

Thanks Andrew, and I really appreciate the responses am having from the
group. Now, I just downloaded the J2SDK, but while installing it, I
was prompted that: The Installation Package does not support the type
of processor I am using. My Processor is CELERON.

Where do I get the right package please. Thanks in advance.