    Could you all help me out please. I want to find the java.exe file
    from the command prompt, an indication that my system is configured.

    Help me out please.

    Absad, Aug 4, 2006

  2. Absad

    cp Guest

    Its your PATH which isnt set properly.
    Assuming your using windows.
    1) Right-click on 'My Computer' and select properties.
    2) A number of tabbed panes is now available. Select the 'Advanced' tab.
    3) Select the 'Environmen Variables' button.
    In there you will find a System Variable called CLASSPATH. This is the path
    that windows
    checks each time you call something from the command prompt. In that
    CLASSPATH you must
    set the absolute path to your java distribution.

    EXAMPLE:
    On my machine that looks like:
    Variable Value
    CLASSPATH .;X:\Java\jre1.5.0_07\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

    Note the . (dot) and the ; (semi-colon) before the X which is the letter for
    your given drive.
    Also note that this is the JRE distrobution which is why it aims at a *.zip
    file. If you have the
    JDK package then direct the path to the BIN directory under JDK.

    cp, Aug 4, 2006

  3. Absad

    Chris Uppal Guest

    I think you've just downloaded the devkit for enterprise stuff -- which (a) is
    /not/ a good place to start learning the language, and (b) does not (if I
    remember correctly) inlcude the "normal" JDK which is where the compiler and so
    on are.

    You should look for the real JDK at:
    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

    There are versions with and without "netbeans" (a large IDE), and it seems
    there's even one with the JEE stuff included (which I guess is not the thing
    you've already downloaded or you wouldn't be having these problems).

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Aug 4, 2006
  4. Absad

    Absad Guest

    Hello,

    Thanks Chris. I will try downloading the right software.

    Absad, Aug 4, 2006
  5. Hello again.

    Please refrain from multi-posting in future.

    If you need to reach several groups, you can X-post by
    (Separate multiple groups with commas), but that
    is usually unnecessary.

    You have found a good group for beginners, in c.l.j.help.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Aug 4, 2006
  6. Absad

    Absad Guest

    Thanks Andrew, and I really appreciate the responses am having from the
    group. Now, I just downloaded the J2SDK, but while installing it, I
    was prompted that: The Installation Package does not support the type
    of processor I am using. My Processor is CELERON.

    Where do I get the right package please. Thanks in advance.

    Absad, Aug 4, 2006