Newbie here

Discussion in 'HTML' started by natashab, Nov 30, 2006.

  1. natashab

    natashab Guest

    Just wish to introduce myself to the group.
    I have been attempting to learn very basic HTML on my own and I feel I
    have progressed rather well. Theres obviously loads more I have to
    learn hense the reason for joining this group.

    I am currently studying online to get the qualification

    NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Telematics, purely for my own benefit than
    for anything else.

    here is the site that ive just recently finished.
    Most of you will think it is prettybasic but I myself am rather proud
    of it.

    You may all no doubt take a sneaky peak at the coding of it and I
    actually have no idea what it now means because somewhere along the
    line of having a few friends check on what I had created it now appears
    that the coding is entirely different than my HTML I orginally wrote
    for it

    Please if any of you know how this could have happened please share
    this with me??

    Thanks in advance natasha
    www.happytapping.co.uk

    natashab, Nov 30, 2006

  2. ...but your code looks like it is straight out of 1995.
    Doesn't use CSS for presentation.

    See http://htmldog.com/
    How it is different? Please describe with some details.
    There is no way that a friend could change your code by visiting the
    page.
    which is: http://www.freewebs.com/happytapping/

    Many errors:
    <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...etect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&verbose=1>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 30, 2006

  3. natashab

    Neredbojias Guest

    "Your" code is different because the site is being redirected via a frames
    page to an address different from the original. If you can use a redirect
    _without_ changing the url in the address bar, you can avoid the frame.

    Neredbojias, Nov 30, 2006
  4. natashab

    mbstevens Guest

    I think that's probably right, since it's from a free host; framing is
    very common with those. If the op can afford $10-15 a month, s/he
    would be much better off than using a free host.

    mbstevens, Nov 30, 2006
  5. natashab

    Bergamot Guest

    There are plenty of hosting services out there for much less than that,
    many from $25 a year and up. This isn't an e-commerce site, so the
    extras you'd get with more expensive hosting would be a waste of money.

    Bergamot, Nov 30, 2006
  6. natashab

    dorayme Guest

    I think she can do this for less than $4 a month... I have one
    account for $3.97 Australian per month. Unix, even php gets
    thrown in. I expect now ng readers will auction this down!

    dorayme, Nov 30, 2006
  7. natashab

    Andrew Guest

    Hi dorayme,

    Note the lower case :) Where is your $3.97 host?

    Regards,

    Andrew

    Andrew, Nov 30, 2006
  8. natashab

    dorayme Guest

    Hostingbay (an aussie group).

    I reminded them I have given them clients and how about they send
    me a case of Bourbon for Xmas... They say, sure, but my ng
    postings are undoing the good work with all the rubbish I write
    and if I stop for gods sake for at least one year, maybe a case
    for next Xmas!

    <g>

    dorayme, Nov 30, 2006
  9. natashab

    John Hosking Guest

    dorayme,

    I'm wondering what uh, folks like to drink where you're from:

    Martian Comfort?
    Jim MoonBeam?
    Old Phobos?
    Johnny Walker Red Planet?
    Early Deimos?

    John Hosking, Nov 30, 2006
  10. natashab

    dorayme Guest

    <g>

    Jim MoonBeam hits the spot for me.

    When I landed in NSW, I learnt how to make beer from the grain.
    You are good with names, perhaps, after all these years, I should
    have a name for my output?

    dorayme, Nov 30, 2006
  11. natashab

    mbstevens Guest

    _Janis_ liked Southern Comfort. How's your voice?
    Given your handle, how about Scale Ale.

    mbstevens, Nov 30, 2006
  12. natashab

    dorayme Guest

    What quite are you implying mb? I am no reptile. Honest.

    dorayme, Dec 1, 2006
  13. natashab

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Wynton MARS-ALE-is?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Dec 1, 2006
  14. natashab

    dorayme Guest

    I dunno Ed...? I am waiting for John Hosking who has talent in
    this direction, a sharp eye for drink names for outer
    spacers...before I go into label print production.

    dorayme, Dec 1, 2006
  15. natashab

    Teppo Tulppu Guest

    The person I am always calling when I need help from my host, starts
    always laugh when I call him. I wouldn't even think I could ask him a
    bottle for christmas. And I have also brought new customers in to this
    company which is MUCH more expensive than those prices that been
    mentioned in this thread.

    If I wanted to find host for that price in Finland, I should be prepared
    to unclassified level of service. I have also found widely trusted
    (locally) company who ask me 150 eur/year for a platform with php but no
    database, who refuse to give out access to shell in any price, who
    prefer customers use meta referesh for redirecting instead of making
    htaccess redirect, and who yell me in the telephone saying that they are
    not very keen to have effort for a small customer like me. But I guess
    companies like this can be found also from other side of the globe.

    Anyway, I guess there will be no bottle of red wine this year.

    Olli, yawn...

    Teppo Tulppu, Dec 1, 2006
  16. natashab

    John Hosking Guest

    Sorry for the delay. I had to do actual work, and sleep, and stuff.

    Actually I like "Scale Ale" from mbstevens, but perhaps you want a
    variety of names to choose from.

    How about Red Planet Ale?
    Or Terrabroo (guess what animal mascot I recommend)?
    Or DoRayMe Pale Ale, "a drop of golden fun"?

    Sorry, too much pressure. And I don't know exactly what you're brooing,
    I mean, brewing; is it a lager? a pilsner? light? dark? heavy motor oil?

    John Hosking, Dec 1, 2006
  17. natashab

    mbstevens Guest

    Oh, you know, a treble clef and some parallel lines on the label
    with three notes, that kind of thing.

    mbstevens, Dec 1, 2006
  18. natashab

    freemont Guest

    It'll take eight notes. ;-)

    freemont, Dec 1, 2006
  19. natashab

    Andy Dingley Guest

    My heart always sinks when I see a neologism like "Telematics" or a
    fabricated acronym like "ICT". No-one competent in these fields calls
    them that, the only people who do use these terms are ignorant
    academics. In particular, the sort of ignorant academic who is
    cheerfully teaching appalling technical standards in the subject. 8-(

    The HTML on the page is horrible. Not your fault, let me hasten to add,
    it's a combination of what you were taught and what the broken tools
    produce. It could be worse - you might have signed up for the Open
    University's web-design course, possibly the worst and most thoroughly
    obsolete course available on the topic.

    Many people around here in this newsgroup write better code than this.
    Interestingly, "better" means both "technically superior" yet also "far
    less work to produce". Now there's an outcome you don't get every day.

    I'd suggest reading a copy of "Head First HTML & CSS". Learn how to
    use some CSS, on top of some appropriate HTML, and you'll get better
    results with less effort. You'll also realise just how simpel web
    design can be, and why you don't need expensive rubbish tools like
    Frontplague or Dreamweevil.

    You're using cheap framed hosting. If you view the _frame's_ source,
    then you'll see the real page.

    You should stop hosting with this sort of cheapskate operation - it's a
    bad idea for many reasons.

    Andy Dingley, Dec 1, 2006
  20. natashab

    dorayme Guest

    <g>

    Yes, that would be nice...

    I don't know if it just me, but I have always found the look of
    sheet music attractive...

    dorayme, Dec 1, 2006